POLL: If you trade intraday, do you use sub-one-minute charts in your trading?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Gabfly1, Aug 12, 2010.

If you trade intraday, do you use sub-one-minute charts in your trading?

1. Yes

23 vote(s)
    30.7%
  2. No

52 vote(s)
    69.3%
  1. I first learned that CQG does not offer sub-one-minute charting from reading a review on this site. I then went to CQG's web site and even spoke with two tech support people on two separate occasions. This thread is certainly not intended to disparage CQG in any way, since I have only heard very positive things about the company and its software. It just got me to thinking about how something that I now regard as fairly indispensable is not universally available. If anything, this thread is about my own limitations. And so, I wanted to gauge the prevalence of sub-one-minute chart use.

#41     Aug 13, 2010
  2. I'm sure there is a point to your post. However, I'm not quite sure what that point is.

#42     Aug 13, 2010
  3. Good question gabfly1, and way over due.

#43     Aug 13, 2010
  4. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Thanks for the reply.

Although I don't have any facts...I believe that sub 1 minute charts is something that interest retail traders than professional traders based upon any type of chart discussion.

Regardless, I personally believe that sub 1 minute charts is a tool for scalp traders.

Therefore, my question to you is do you want to scalp or using the sub 1 minute charts for scalping ?

Mark

#44     Aug 13, 2010
  5. Dogfish

Dogfish

There's a thousand ways to skin a cat and if you find a way to make money on sub 1 min charts that's great.

A funny quote from one of the biggest traders I know who's pulled many millions from futures and trades on TT told me

"Charts? Charts are for sailors mate!"

I don't completely agree but I get his point, like I say there's a thousand ways to skin a cat.

#45     Aug 13, 2010
  6. I use them and here's why. Take BIDU for example. The last point down on one second charts was a very clear and orderly succession of lower highs and lower lows. On one minute charts it looked jerky and chaotic in comparison. When BIDU turned around, the same but with higher highs and higher lows.

#46     Aug 13, 2010
  7. As I noted earlier, until a few years ago, I had used one-minute charts for my trading. Since that time, I have been using sub-one-minute, eventually finding a time frame that I believe suits me and my temperament. Although I trade fairly short-term, I don't think I qualify as a "scalper." But I do often exit losing trades in a matter of seconds.

I just find the sub-one-minute time frame I presently use to provide me with a sufficient number of reliable and worthwhile setups, based on my fairly stringent criteria, at low cost. More so than the longer time frames. That's the sum and substance of it.

#47     Aug 13, 2010