POLL: IB TWS vs J-TRADER, Which is more "Reliable"?

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by Nana Trader, Mar 26, 2004.

1. Maybe J_Trader ain´t such a great piece of software, if
    they have to replace it with another platform ("TradeMark") ?

Think about it ...

:D

#31     Mar 29, 2004

2. I know it's not great product , but still fine for me
    trading 1 to 2 contracts per ticket. I will difinitly
    switch to X-trader later if i need to up my volume.

Secondly i have noticed from above poll, and that "MANY"
    also said here it's better than TWS, and never had problem
    with it. May be those who had problem with it was part from
    their setup for PC hardware/software and connection.
    some other software runing on same PC might still owrk fine,
    but that doesn't mean work for J-trader version and your Java,
    IE version, antivirus, spyware...the way you have set everything on your pc.

I am trying again J-trader with real time data this week, and
    give me feedback.

#32     Mar 29, 2004
  3. Yosemite

Yosemite

Including the monthly price?
    :D

I use the J -trader and I tested the TWS a while ago.
    I found myself more confortable using the pats platform.

I am sure it has some connection issues, this is a matter of fact, but now I thing we are talking too much badly about it.

While some days i can experience 2/5 disconnections, some other days no disconnections at all;

i know for sure that pats have some system reccomandation, or a max number of cliernts per server.... i guess that could be the difference... but above all Pats is a professional platform.

#33     Mar 29, 2004
  4. I have run the jtrader standalone for the past 8-9 months. Had maybe 3 disconnects the first 6 months but have had 5-10 in the last 3 weeks. Sporadic disconnects would tend to indicate issues on the server side, not with the client.

#34     Mar 30, 2004
  5. The data is excellent, true tick-by-tick, and a little faster than IB too. I run both side-by-side on the same PC and in terms of reliability, I've seen disconnects on one while the other is just fine ...both way rounds. Go figure!

If I had to choose though, I would plump for J-Trader. It may not be X-Trader but then neither is TWS. It's been reliable for me overall and the datafeed is better. But it does need an updated interface or third party front-end. We'll see what TradeMark looks like when it comes out later this year ...

#35     Mar 30, 2004
  6. There is a poster on the IB board who claims IB's new BookTrader
    is better than X-Trader.... and a LOT less expensive... :p

#36     Mar 30, 2004
  7. Disconnects should be a RARITY, NOT AN EVERYDAY OCCURANCE!!!

Having said that, I agree with all of 50cents comments in this topic, I have both, but only use TWS for the last 18months and kept JT as backup which i never used.

One issue is that PATS JTrader is available from many different brokers, whereas TWS is IB-specific.

My experience was that the IT staff of brokers offering JT was VERY incompetent wrt JT, which adds to the potential problems.

#37     Mar 30, 2004
  8. java5555

java5555

I understand that both Button Trader and Ninja Trader are developing front ends for J-Trader. These should be available later in the year. Bracket function on X-trader costs $1400/month.

#38     Mar 30, 2004
  9. A baseless claim.
    Didn't put up even a sentence why is it better?
    Simply the guy is crazy about his broker only.

#39     Mar 30, 2004
  10. Maybe it's because I'm British but I read that user's one line comment somewhat differently. It seemed to be dripping with sarcasm to me! :p

#40     Mar 30, 2004