POLL: IB TWS vs J-TRADER, Which is more "Reliable"?

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by Nana Trader, Mar 26, 2004.

1. they blame the whole world except their own selves. it's your machine, it's your cpu, it's your internet connection.. man, eSignal and TWS work fine, and JTrader doesn't, on the same machine with the same ram, cpu, and inet connection. one should read the writing on the wall...

#21     Mar 27, 2004
  2. Thanks.. except that I don't have any "Sun Java" in advanced inet options, I only have "microsoft VM". Anyway I just use j-trader as a backup, so I use the standalone version that isn't slow.

Thanks anyway

#22     Mar 27, 2004

3. JTrader had a standalone version which you install on your machine, and a Web version, which loads every time you log in. They stopped developing the stand alone version, and now they only give the web version.

which by the way means that you need to reload the software from the web every time you want to log in.

i don't think j-trader is considered a real professional platform. it's sort of like RefcoExpress and RefcoPro. If you are a full time trader you use RefcoPro, not the web based RefcoExpress. Same with J-Trader. If you're serious about your business, you should use X-Trader. That one costs money though (so does RefcoPro).

#23     Mar 27, 2004
  4. Thanks for clarifying

#24     Mar 28, 2004
  5. I run both j-trader and TWS simulatneously. I use the standalone version of j-trader. I trade accounts with both platforms every day. I had some serious connection issues after relocating to the caribbean. I never had issues when I was in Canada and only using j-trader(diconnected twice in a year plus). The problem I had was caused by running Norotn Internet Security on my laptop behind my new linksys router. The firealls had issues. I disconncted Norton, and have had no disconnects at all. J-trader data feed is slightly faster than IB fwiw. If you are having connection problems with ANY platform and you are relatively sure that it is not your ISP or data provider, I would take a long hard look at your security/firewalls.

#25     Mar 28, 2004
  6. crazycanuck,

Take notice that IB does not refresh tick by tick, rather it refreshes every 0.5sec or so. This is by design.

Cheers

#26     Mar 28, 2004
  7. java5555

java5555

Having never used J trader, can someone tell me if the data is dynamic like X-trader or snapshot like IB. Maybe a comment on the quality of data as well.

#27     Mar 28, 2004
  8. I run Jtrader and have had experience similar to CrazyCanucks - maybe 2 disconnects in the last year...I find it perfectly reliable running thru cable modem access... I used TWS for a year and had very good reliability, but it was worse than Jtrader has been, maybe 5 - 8 problem days in the year I used it.

As for the refresh - its dynamic not snapshot and the quality of the data, at least for me so far, has been perfect. Fast, clean, accurate, so...I'm quite happy with it

#28     Mar 28, 2004
  9. Introducing TradeMark

Name announced for new trading platform

Patsystems is pleased to announce the brand name of its new trading platform. Developed under the working title of ‘Patsystems 2: Enterprise Edition’, the platform will be released as ‘TradeMark’.

The name has been chosen to emphasise the standard that Patsystems believes TradeMark will set – in terms of performance, power and versatility – for next generation platforms.

The platform is being developed in three phases, with full rollout scheduled for later in 2004, although the current platform will be supported at least until 2005 and will continue to provide market-leading technology.

Phase one of TradeMark, involving the core software development (such as order management, FIX gateways and system administration and management), was completed on time and within budget at the end of December 2003. Customer trials began in February, and initial performance and quality reports are encouraging.

“The aim of this project, says Patsystems CEO Kevin Ashby, “is to introduce the first system in our industry to provide high-availability, industrial-strength computing for organisations wishing to trade exchange-based instruments.”

“We are confident that our new platform will appeal to the widest range of trading interests, from the most professional independent traders through to global banks with worldwide order books and highly complex needs. It will also maintain our leadership in the retail sector. Built from the ground up, TradeMark is modular and reflects the latest thinking in electronic trading. It is scalable, easy to customise and harnesses leading-edge technologies within a single architecture.”

#29     Mar 29, 2004

10. H-Trader is a unique product to keep you in touch with markets when you are on the move. It is a sleek hand-held trading application with the following features:

-Windows CE-based system

-Real-time price data from global exchanges

-Real-time delivery of orders and receipt of fills

-Real-time profit and loss and positions for one or many accounts

-Operates 'wirelessly' over LAN/WAN environment

-Enters automatic stop-loss orders on receipt of fills, if required
    Trading takes place within our carefully controlled risk management system.

#30     Mar 29, 2004