Poll: How much volume does SPY trade premarket vs afterhours?

Discussion in 'ETFs' started by Daal, Oct 16, 2018.

How much volume does SPY trade premarket vs afterhours?

1. 200%

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. About the same

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. 50%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 25%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 10%

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Daal

Daal

What do you think? I will post the answer later. I'm considering the ENTIRE premarket and AH session

2. jharmon

jharmon

I don't think anything. I refer to the data.

What's the difference between the ENTIRE premarket and just the premarket session? Seems a weird emphasis, or did you have some other variation on your definition?

3. zdreg

zdreg

it depends on the particular when news moves the markets.

4. zdreg

zdreg

you must be trading at a good broker since you DON'T know the difference. at a crap broker you would know the difference.

tommcginnis likes this.
  5. Daal

Daal

some brokers only allow premarket trading after 8am when a number of ECNs start trading. So i tend to think in terms of the "ARCA and NSDQ premarket" and then the rest of the premarket from 8am to 9:30am

tommcginnis likes this.
  6. clacy

clacy

When you consider how much price movement happens in the futures markets, I'm guessing it's not insignificant.

7. jharmon

jharmon

I have a live feed which contains every tick, every venue, every trade cancellation. I don't pay any attention to what my broker platforms tell me unless a discrepancy is detected and then further risk mitigation strategies are employed.

zdreg likes this.
  8. Daal

Daal

The answer is about 10%. The premarket session does about 2% of the total SPY volume (counting premarket + RTH + after hours). The Afterhours session does 19% (!). About 12% of that 19% is the 30 minutes after the close. The truth is that the market doesnt not close at 4pm, it actually closes at 4:30pm
    http://www.beathft.com/?p=178