Poll: Have you discovered a "holy grail" system?

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by tenthousandmen, Feb 6, 2012.

Have you made and used a "holy grail"

1. Yes

42 vote(s)
    53.8%
  2. No

36 vote(s)
    46.2%
  1. Love to stick it on a server.

Too technical to explain why but I was subscribed to NASDAQ100 components and tried to do that on C2 through NinjaTrader. NinjaTrader is too unstable and my internet connection blinked out in addition to the problems of coding it.

Basically I tried with NinjaTrader subscribed to E-signal NASDAQ100 and it didn't work. Costs too much, but anyone who wants to track it can do so themselves. As long as it's 9:30 EST you can trade it. There's nothing wrong with it.

Making a trigger on a server is the best way, but no one does that.

Datamining is just that, but when you get to a point and realize you don't need to know what would have happened years ago, you can simulate what the leveraged longs and inverses do on the underlying ETF and that curve was linear and upward.

The pairs system has enough data and trades. And I did try to trade SuperBands, with Linear Regression Analysis, it was just too expensive and NinjaTrader couldn't handle saving workspaces so you would have to open 100 charts at once, run the strategy, and basically it was completely untenable but wouldn't be on the right server which Koch coded with "BrokerBridge."

BTW, the "money" quote was from the OJay's song.

#61     Feb 8, 2012
  2. d08,

Getting Bowo to admit a flaw in his thinking/process is pointless. Imagine hitting your head on a brick wall.

Bowo and I had a serious fallout years ago and I shudder to think he's trading OPM. :( I can be a harsh and direct person. He didn't care for my "Bowo, you f--cked up here and here, yet, you didn't learn anything from it, why?" line of questioning.

Anyway, Bowo lives in a country called delusional land, and, for some odd reason, he really likes it there. Holy grails do in fact exist in delusional land. Bowo has found several.

Real life however is a bit different. As you mentioned, a basket of uncorrelated systems plus several years of real trading experience goes a long way.

Mike

#62     Feb 8, 2012
  3. d08

d08

It's a wasted effort, I know.
    He is claiming that the SuperBands system works great but couldn't be traded because he couldn't find a way to submit the orders.
    I don't buy it as it's easy to submit the orders via an API to a broker like IB. And the internet connection "blinked out", whatever that means.
    Even if he can't do it himself, he easily hire someone to do the execution side.

#63     Feb 8, 2012
  4. ++

I've looked for the printing press but the best I could find is a basket of stock trading trend following algos with PF's in the 2-4 range and win rates 45-55%.

Sometimes they go for months without taking a trade.

The "grail" from this standpoint is to rank them at any given time for suitability to the current conditions, and automatically switch them on or off.

Moving average over the equity curve, WFO activators based on current stats, and ultimate discretion built from real battle in the markets is probably what it's going to take, to escape the class of the employed.

They call it work for a reason.

:D

#64     Feb 10, 2012
  5. bwolinsky I think you are full of #$^@

I trade my own accounts with my own trading system. There is no way I would ever trade for anyone else or sell my signals.

Oh wait, I might start doing that the day that my trading system don't work anymore.

bwolinsky, you need a reality check. If you are a really good trader you trade your own money and get rich. That's how it works. The story about you wanting to be a top5 or selling a monthly signal is crap. Stop it.

#65     Feb 10, 2012
  6. It could be because your system works only in range or trend times, not both. Some stocks and contracts work better in range or trend areas better than others. This is just a thought.

#66     Feb 12, 2012