Poll: Have you discovered a "holy grail" system?

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by tenthousandmen, Feb 6, 2012.

Have you made and used a "holy grail"

1. Yes

42 vote(s)
    53.8%
  2. No

36 vote(s)
    46.2%
  1. Thanks.

Holy grails? Discovery? Even if you had one it wouldn't be scalable, but if your bets have a lot of edge there's no reason not to become a leader/follower for World Cup.

#41     Feb 6, 2012
  2. d08

d08

First, transition to real trading. Backtesting is only half the battle. You've talked the same talk ever since the WL4 forums about 8 years back. But at least you don't call yourself the greatest system trader ever anymore, that's progress.

I traded 10 ES contracts, now switched to 9. Why do you think it's any different than trading 1 contract?

That WorldCupAdvisor website is useless, can't get proper statistics but what I did get was that the recovery factor wasn't particularly high. I won't fill a form to see the equity curve, this isn't 1998.
    And like kinggyppo said, the awards were a bad joke. An OTA subscription, some people might be offended by that.

#42     Feb 6, 2012
  3. I agree that some of the prizes are a bad joke, like a second month of esignal free when I'm paying $315 a month for all of the datafeeds I need!

Greatest system trader was not what I said. I said "Greatest Pairs Trader." Some of the history is lost in translation but even then I still have yet to do a ddoc and start to solicit clients.

8 years? I didn't have the pairs system until March 2007. All of my dip buyers have continued to do great on Wealth Lab, and one from James Altucher is close to top 10 still in market orders.

Look more at the models, maybe get a login. They have equity curves if you become a member and it's free.

I noticed a lot of the winners eventually fade, but there's a few in there still hanging around after 2 years.

I still love pairs trading, even if I've moved on to some other more active approaches, I think there isn't enough data to say yes or no to profitability for it. I mean there's only 103 trades in my backtest all the way back to QID's inception after the last one, so seeing the 20 or so trades it would take to make 200% could take a year and a half.

#43     Feb 6, 2012
  4. You should read pit bull by Buzzy Schwartz. There is a chapter where he agrees to manage some money for others. He returns like 40% and they all are like that's it? As if he was saving the good stuff for his own account. Managing money for others can be a thankless task. Think about it, the nature of greed is that it is never enough. Man I gave you 2/20 and you only returned 40%, blah blah capital returned x while he was doing his laundry. Just sayin, you shouldn't fixate on others you are bound to be dissapointed. my .000000000000000002 cents.:)

#44     Feb 6, 2012
  5. That wasn't .000000000000000002 cents, it was probably, .00000000000000002 cents.

Lol. 10 times magnitude difference, just like investors want by year end.

Leader/follower programs work better because they are the trades that person is doing with their own money and real money at that, so that wouldn't be an issue for what I'm doing or trying to do. They are my real trades, and they are trades I do with my own money. I don't see how anyone can complain unless they are surprised by the first 20% lurch a trader trying to make 10 times your money loses the first 3 months.

Good night, all.

#45     Feb 6, 2012
  6. januson

januson

Why is everybody talking about accumulating money and think they can keep the same % return each year :confused:

#46     Feb 7, 2012
  7. good question the thread was about holy grail, in the usual sense an automated trading system. As usual it got sidetracked, not thinking too many traders here have the problem of their size moving the market, there are some legit players that come thru here though.

#47     Feb 7, 2012
  8. Yes:

[​IMG]

#48     Feb 7, 2012
  9. #49     Feb 7, 2012
  10. d08

d08

Well, you're not the greatest pairs trader, the results speak for themselves. Traders are judged on results, the style is highly irrelevant.
    Your dip buyers posted on the Wealth Lab website are untradable, if they weren't then I'm sure you would've already monetized them :)
    I got the number of years wrong but I do remember your grandiose claims. Even Rene Koch, a person who didn't lose patience in normal circumstances, lost it when dealing with you eventually.
    Altucher's methods are just plain horrible, his 20-30 trade backtests are completely irrelevant. I've read his book too, it was a complete waste of my time.
    103 trades is a very small number, I'd disregard any backtest with so few trades, no matter the profitability.

I don't believe holy grail can be achieved with one system. A basket of great uncorrelated strategies which would provide sufficient results in isolation as well, that is the holy grail.

#50     Feb 8, 2012