Poll - have Obama-Geithner caused the next major decline?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Cdntrader, Feb 11, 2009.

Have Obama-Geithner triggered a crisis in confidence downside move?

1. No Clue

22 vote(s)
    10.6%
  2. No

52 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Yes

134 vote(s)
    64.4%
  1. Were they asleep during this last election?

#21     Feb 11, 2009
  2. gnome

gnome

Elephino.... can't imagine why they would make such a statement about 2012 without doing so for 2008. Pressure from The Dark Side?

#22     Feb 11, 2009
  3. No! This train wreck was already in the works. What we're seeing now is reality, something that was missing during the campaign. Sorry folks, President Obama is just a mere mortal. Some of us saw that sooner than others.

#23     Feb 11, 2009
  4. And now the Dark Side has miraculously let up? How does that work?

#24     Feb 11, 2009
  5. gnome

gnome

I don't know. If it was obvious, wouldn't be "Dark", now would it? Maybe there's an agenda yet to be disclosed... Maybe the RepubliClowns were very clever. Maybe they didn't really WANT to win the election in 2008 because they'd been warned about the extent of the economic mess. Maybe they WANTED the DemoCrap candidate to win so the Dems could take more than their share of the blame. Maybe they "overlooked the eligibility issue" on purpose. Maybe the RepubliClowns chose Palin on purpose to PRECLUDE any possibility of winning. (Old, inarticulate McCain and Palin ticket? Surely they weren't serious...)

You go ahead with your admiration... I'll continue with my contempt. At least one of us will be shown to be wrong, eventually. I'll acknowledge and offer contrition if it's I.

#25     Feb 11, 2009
  6. Baudot

Baudot

When I saw the headlines proclaim that Geithner caused the decline at 11 am when he started to talk, I found that hard to believe. That evening, I went looking to see that in the charts.

You see, I had been following oil (my current fixation) all day and noticed the TSX drop when oil dropped and the slide continued into the day. My position was starting to pay!

Now... I've concluded that any stock index play is partially a play on oil. Prior to this, somewhat reluctantly feeling it wasn't a diverse play, I bought TSX based on my conclusion that Oil would break $40 once and for all (that is for this month). If oil took yet another spike up, I'd be losing on two fronts.

Yes... TSX is heavy in energy and mining but oddly every other exchange went in sync.

In my view the oil bulls have sustained the market in that range their belief that a bounce is immenent. I never bought that rational.

Now the contrary argument is that the upturned markets sustained oil. I disagree.

I have observed some measure of disconnection between falling oil and the markets but not enough to convince me that Geithner is the boogy man in this event.

Now that I've posted my opinion, I'll go on to see what everyone else says.

Eric

#26     Feb 11, 2009
  7. You people are idiots.

He's always said, "Things will get worse before they get better."

And

"It will take a long time to fix these problems."

Calm down, it hasn't even been a month.

#27     Feb 11, 2009
  8. It's not Bush's fault. I know that much.

He's been out of office, after 8 years in, for a whole one month now.

#28     Feb 11, 2009
  9. gnome

gnome

Sarcasm. I get it. If he hadn't been such a selfish turd as President, perhaps there wouldn't have been such a backlash vote.

I think Bush contributed PLENTY to this mess.... so much in fact, he'll likely be regarded by history as one of America's worst presidents.

#29     Feb 11, 2009
  10. Mvic

Mvic

1. Jobs are the stop loss that is needed.
    2.The stimulus will create few and very expensive jobs but Obama will not be blamed because when no jobs are created he can just claim that 4M were saved from losing their jobs. Again, the stimulus will be hailed as a success even if NOT ONE NEW job is created because they will claim that jobs were saved because of the stimulus!
    3.Without the jobs the bank bailout is irrelevant and just another waste of trillions to be added to the taxpayers tab.
    4.There is no real will in DC to stop this crisis. The bigger the crisis the more power Obama (or Pelosi as she seems to be running things more than anyone else at the moment) has to enact change, his Chief of staff already told us this in plain English.
    5. The solutions they really want to impose, along with a real stimulus, will come later this year or early next, and they will be timed so the effects will start to show as we head in to the 2012 election. There is a downside to being too effective too soon for this administration.

I see the people who are blindly touting Obama no differently than those people who were blindly supporting and defending Bush despite all the evidence that he was incompetent (not to say that Obama is incompetent nor Geithner as I don't believe they are, but to many it is as if they can do no wrong just like the Bushies felt about their fearless leader as though this is some popularity contest in highschool, by the way this is in no way helpful to Obama who unlike Bush I think will listen to differing opinions and doesn't need sicophants). I am amazed at how many otherwise intelligent people who rightly held Bush to a high standard of intellectual integrity have lost all of their critical thinking when it comes to Obama and have morphed in to the same blind followers immune to all reason and logic that they used to so deride when it came to Bush supporters. Do you really want to be a liberal version of a ditto head?

#30     Feb 11, 2009