POLL - Futures: How do you determine the trend?

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by billpritjr, Nov 14, 2005.

POLL - Futures: How do you determine the trend?

1. Single MA

39 vote(s)
    22.9%
  2. Dual MA crossover

50 vote(s)
    29.4%
  3. Trendline

61 vote(s)
    35.9%
  4. N-day breakout

20 vote(s)
    11.8%
  1. I guess a picture speaks a thousand words . . . If you listen. Here is a specific ridged Volume Bar Chart of the Emini S&P for a little over a month. This is MY TRADING ENVIRONMENT.

My verification of the beginning of uptrend came between the afternoon of the 20th through the 21st. My confirmation of the Bull Trend came the afternoon of the 24th about an hour before the close. From that point in time my whole concentration has been buying Minor bottoms and will stay that way until Price creates an oscillation that fails to make a Higher High.

If this is too hard for you to comprehend, I could use crayons to spell it out.

#51     Nov 16, 2005
  2. Strange how this debate never ends. I trade pullbacks in a "trend". I define trend as higher highs, higher lows, etc. I agree with Charlie that trends are chart specific and I agree with Surf that I wouldnt trade trends longer term but intraday I wait for a "trend" to form and wait for a pullback and am confident that the odds will favor a resumption of the "trend" or a test of last swing more than 50% of the time and the results seem to verify this approach. Not really too complicated.

#52     Nov 16, 2005
  3. hans37

hans37

In other words you wait for the trend to end before you get in ,and hope it resumes once you do.

Hey that's okay I try to catch falling knives.

#53     Nov 16, 2005
  4. How would I know the trend has ended? Are you saying every time price reverses the trend has ended?

#54     Nov 16, 2005
  5. hans37

hans37

How do you know if you have a pullback?

#55     Nov 16, 2005
  6. Certain conditions have to be met, then I place a bet that it will resume the initial direction. I am often wrong.

#56     Nov 16, 2005

7. hey easy,

have you tried doing the opposite--selling when the pullback begins?

surfer:)

#57     Nov 16, 2005
  8. LOL. Youre sounding like Jack now. I am trying to learn how to do that but so far I havent figured it out. I stick to the easy stuff.:)

#58     Nov 16, 2005

9. Charles,

i see you are listed as a partner with multi-charts and have rehabed your website.

surfer :D :eek:

#59     Nov 16, 2005

10. PLEASEEE! not jack......

LOL !

if it works, that is all that matters.

best,

surfer

#60     Nov 16, 2005