POLL - Futures: How do you determine the trend?

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by billpritjr, Nov 14, 2005.

POLL - Futures: How do you determine the trend?

1. Single MA

39 vote(s)
    22.9%
  2. Dual MA crossover

50 vote(s)
    29.4%
  3. Trendline

61 vote(s)
    35.9%
  4. N-day breakout

20 vote(s)
    11.8%

1. You are still around? I thought that you were telling ET that you were leaving ET for good.

But as the disclaimer says: past performance is no garantee of future performance.

In other words: The market gives shit about if you have a degree or are a loo cleaner. The big question is: can you trade?

And if you can trade then you are not charging people 300 USD for attending your chatroom.

'nough said

vital analitics

#41     Nov 16, 2005
  2. What values are constantly changing?

Minute Charts contain a varying number of transactions & shares or contracts traded per bar. These are the worse charts for consistency in price action.
    Tick Charts contain a fixed number of transaction but the shares or contracts per those transactions vary. These are a little better but still inconsistent.
    Volume or Contract Bar Charts contain a fixed number of shares or contracts traded per bar if build by a reliable vendor. They are flawlessly consistent.

This is a fact verified by all reputable data vendors out there. Your statement of their contantly changing values is easily confirmed by the world's top vendors as being false.

#42     Nov 16, 2005
  3. Charles,

Your assumptions based on "bars" is in error at the root and your earlier querry is seriously flawed, therefore i am unable to provide an answer. however, i apprieciate your sharing of your method and if it works for you GREAT ! unfortunately, you appear very unflexible--which is the death kneel for a trader.

perhaps a review of higher statistical methods will show you the error of your analysis.

best,

surfer

#43     Nov 16, 2005
  4. I figure that as long as individuals like you were allowed to post lies without giving your real name, I would stay around to defend myself.
    I call trades in front of live people with deadly accuracy. I have done it locally, in Asia, Los Angeles & next week in Germany.

There was no charge for the ChatRoom and there never has been but is a locked environment. Over the last 5 years approximately 120 people paid $300 (a one time charge) to access my research and to have the right to access the trading parameters, rules and chatroom. That works out to a total monetarily generated income of US$36,000.00 over 5 years or approximately US $7,200.00 per year or US$138.47 per week. This was to cover the minimal expenses of the website, research expenses and time in doing the daily market assessment newsletter. If you think someone could live off that you are more delusional than your posts portray. The site has been closed to outsiders for over 6 months now as well. There are tons of your so called "Gurus" out there making millions of dollars peddling their wears and you berate me for perpetrating original thought. In all of my posts I have NEVER ONCE mentioned what I do. That in itself speaks volumes about you.

#44     Nov 16, 2005
  5. hans37

hans37

It was not a compliment. Logic impiled is most dangerous when not applied!
    However I do note that you said my way of determining a trend had no predictive value. # 1 I never claimed it did. #2 you appeared to attack the method of my determining a trend. Since you attacked the method versus attacking the strawman conclusion that I did not draw(predictiveness). I naturally assumed you meant trends had predictive values.

Now you contend trends can't be predicted.(lol,pretty much my point to start with but don't let that stop you)

LOL
    You sound like a market letter writer. Indicators point to a continued upward move in prices , unless of course they don't.

#45     Nov 16, 2005
  6. Again you make a statement you can't back up with fact.
    Why are my assumptions based on "bars" in error at the root and the earlier query seriously flawed? Saying it doesn't make it so. You say a lot in generalities but never back it up. I lay out specifics you blow off because you are too lazy to work them through.
    It is not that I am inflexible, I trade in an inflexible environment. The only way to determine Trend is to create a ridged environment of consistency of information and fixed rules.
    Again, Statistics has nothing to do with what I do.

#46     Nov 16, 2005
  7. I sincerely hope you didn't just say in German that "you are a donut" :D

#47     Nov 16, 2005
  8. I did not attack your method . . . you never stated it.
    I assumed from your statement using "prediction" (I never used that word), that that was your implied thought. If I was wrong, I apologize.
    I state Trends can't be predicted, only read. There is a major difference but if you won't entertain the concept, it doesn't pay to elaborate. They will maintain themselves until they reverse. (This stated under a strict chart increment environment).

I repeat. You are the master of your environment . . . good trading to you and your opinions.
    I am the master of my fixed rule based chart increment environment.
    I would falter in your environment and you would falter in mine.

I am not trying to convince you to move into my environment. I don't want you here. I just try to open discussion to the possibilities of other science or schools of thought.

#48     Nov 16, 2005
  9. I like that better. :D

#49     Nov 16, 2005
  10. hans37

hans37

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote from hans37:

What a bunch of mumbo jumbo, BS.
    The slope of a line can be determined by any 2 points and will give you a trend. The only question is: how much deviation from this particular "trend' direction do you consider necessary to pronounce another trend?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    linus

The slope of the line from any 2 points in no way shape or form determines trend. It determines degree of slope. There is no way to determine Price will continue in the direction of your slope from just two points.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I get you claim alzheimers now huh?
    The implication clearly is that 2 points are not sufficient but more or something else is useful in determining price.

So tell me linus when does an an oscillation become a trend?

#50     Nov 16, 2005