Poll: Fundamentals Affect on Trading

Discussion in 'Trading' started by KevinK, Jul 8, 2005.

Fundamentals' Affect on Your Trading

1. STRONGLY Follow the Fundamentals

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  2. CONSIDER the Fundamentals

9 vote(s)
    45.0%
  3. LEAVE the Fundamentals to the 'Funny Mentals'

8 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. KevinK

KevinK Guest

Hello,
    I am conducting a poll considering the influence of fundamentals on the decisions made by ET members. Do you:
    1) STRONGLY Follow the Fundamentals
    2)CONSIDER the Fundamentals
    3)LEAVE the Fundamentals to the 'Funny-Mentals'

2. Chagi

Chagi

To put the following in perspective, I'm currently a "student of the markets", trading with a small account, learning etc.

Anyways, I tend to swing and position trade, holding for periods ranging from days to weeks/months, and I always look at the fundamentals for a company. I don't make my decision entirely on fundamentals, but I do look at things like revenue, profitability, current state of company's balance sheet and size of o/s float as part of my decision making process.

For example, I was VERY tempted to take a long position in EAG lately, but I didn't like the look of their funadmentals, particularly the number of shares o/s. Given their current share price and the fact that they have about 250mill shares float, they look like a good candidate for a 10:1 reverse split to me.

So despite the fact that the chart looks interesting (rising optimism, bottom appears to be in), I decided to pass for the moment. Probably going to listen to their conference call next week though to get a better feel for the company...

That said, I don't imagine that someone dealing in shorter timeframes (intraday) would bother looking at fundamentals, all that matters for a daytrader is the price action.

3. Kevin...

It is quite different b/c for my day trading, only thing that matters is that the prices are not stagnant.

My swing trading, FUNDAMENTALS are a huge factor.

Always gotta keep the style and time frame in mind when conducting such polls. Without which, it can really mess up your results.