POLL for SIF intraday traders: what % of the daily range do you catch on average

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by Thunderdog, Sep 22, 2006.

What % of the daily range do you typically catch, on average?

1. 0 - 1%

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. 11 - 30%

11 vote(s)
    68.8%
  3. 31 - 50%

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  4. 51 - 70%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 71 - 100%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. > 100%

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. If you intraday trade any of the equity index futures markets on a regular basis, what percentage of the daily range do you capture on average? Of course, this can vary substantially from one day to the next, but what would you consider "normal" for your strategy and the way you trade?

I have included the 6th option primarily because of an ET member who has repeatedly claimed to be able to consistently catch 3 times the daily range in ES. Of course, I do not believe that, however, I didn't want him to feel left out.

2. OOPS!

Please note that the first option should be 0-10%. Sorry about that.

Moderator, could you please adjust that first option in the poll accordingly.

3. <b>Thunder</b>, if Thursday's 09/21 session ES range was 14pts between the bells, did someone actually claim to book +42 ES points intraday? Wow!

Austin P

4. In this poll? I can't say, since the final option does not specify beyond >100%. But there is a character here who claims to regularly make 3 times the daily range in ES, as I noted in the first post. While I suspect that some nimble traders can make a multiple of the daily range from time to time during ranging markets, I find it difficult to believe that there are traders who can do so as a matter of course. Perhaps this is just a projection of my own shortcomings, but I don't think so. Of course, I refer to actual results as compared to theoretical ones.

5. Ask them how much they pay in commissions to be able to make that claim.