POLL for intraday index traders: How do you deal with slower periods during the day?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by Thunderdog, Aug 21, 2009.

How do you deal with slower periods during the day?

1. Slog through it, taking all setups come what may.

11 vote(s)
    22.9%
  2. Stop trading.

26 vote(s)
    54.2%
  3. Tighten setup criteria.

11 vote(s)
    22.9%
  1. And you know you can do aerobics will you are seating. :cool:

#21     Aug 22, 2009
  2. I never trade past 11 est.

I trade ES only.

#22     Aug 22, 2009
  3. my NUTS are hanging thru the floor!

#23     Aug 22, 2009
  4. Chien Qui Tonne, je fais mes excuses, mais...

"Quand le marche se branle, je me branle."

#24     Aug 22, 2009
  5. Well none of the alternatives listed interest me....

Understandably, professionals look at the seasonal liquidity issues a little differently. Since we don't have 2nd jobs to worry about, we can make adjustments that might not be possible for the average retail participant.

Summer is primarily for vacation, so most senior staff take off in August, leaving "less senior" people to monitor positions. I know because I was one of those "less senior" people.

Those of us who drew the short straw, often had to make adjustments to our sleep, meal and exercise schedules starting about mid June. At least in my office we had a person coming in for the the open of the Asian markets, one more for Europe and a couple to handle the pre-market and RTH of the Spoos.

I have no idea why retail traders would put themselves at risk in dull markets, but hey its certainly your choice. Personally I don't care to be in a position and watch it tick up and down for several hours at a time.....Particularly when there are some decent alternatives.

Good luck

#25     Aug 23, 2009
  6. I boil a full cup of white rice, have a wonderful meal, and then go into deep meditation, which ends exactly at the beginning of the next 10 point vertical move when I effortlessly click my computer mouse to enter the trade.

#26     Aug 23, 2009
  7. Like what?....... and I'm not been sarcastic.

#27     Aug 23, 2009
  8. Unless the slower period is dealing with major zones of importance it is wise to ignore it completely unless of course you get off on trading the minute to minute stochastics (haha). The major zones I vaguely address here probably don't appeal to the religious intraday traders because holding anything overnight for them will cause instant insomnia.

#28     Aug 23, 2009
  9. Re-read the paragraph right above my final comment (I'm not being sarcastic either).

#29     Aug 24, 2009