POLL for intraday index traders: How do you deal with slower periods during the day?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by Thunderdog, Aug 21, 2009.

How do you deal with slower periods during the day?

1. Slog through it, taking all setups come what may.

11 vote(s)
    22.9%
  2. Stop trading.

26 vote(s)
    54.2%
  3. Tighten setup criteria.

11 vote(s)
    22.9%
  1. Depends on your system.

If one has a manual tick fuck system then one may be better off by leaving the desk to eat and walk around a bit. But of course you leave tons of jack on table over the course of the year.

On the other hand:

If one has an automated dialed in system whose algo can handle high and low vol environments. Then one can very take short breaks all day all long. Or depending on the algo one may be able to take day a long break.

#11     Aug 21, 2009
  2. My day is like this, If I make my quota in the morning then I move over to the sim for some testing If I don't get in at the open given the Apollo thirteen moves we been having lately then I listen to music "Techno, trance, electronic/dance" to stay awake and pic up some small moves and the end of day move, in adition I have audio alerts that give me heads up. :cool:

#12     Aug 21, 2009
  3. Quota? This isn't a 9-5 gig, stop limiting yourself.

#13     Aug 21, 2009
  4. hmcp

hmcp

I dont post ofen but this is something I have had a problem with so I try to break the day up into sements

ie. I wont take the same setup @1100 I took @945
    I HOPE THIS HELPS
    Phil

#14     Aug 21, 2009
  5. I know I Know but I'm searching for the Holy Grail, than again this work is addicting. :cool: :cool: :cool:

#15     Aug 21, 2009
  6. Oh yeah man!

#16     Aug 21, 2009
  7. Stop trading. Why take greater risk for less reward?

Watch the VOLUME! That will tell you when to stop trading and start posting.

#17     Aug 22, 2009
  8. Work smart and not hard.

Either trade the markets that aren't as effected as much by the summer slowdown; financials, currencies or ag markets, or trade the indices only on days when there are news reports coming out to add liquidity in the markets.

This happens each year and yet traders react like it never happened before.

#18     Aug 22, 2009
  9. the question posed by the OP is intraday not intra season slowdowns.
    the OP trades the NQ

#19     Aug 22, 2009
  10. The NQ is an index correct?

The slowdowns are intraday as well as intra session.

Argue with the market and it will always win.

#20     Aug 22, 2009