Poll: Fed's Next Move

Discussion in 'Economics' started by The Kin, Jun 26, 2008.

Do you believe the Fed will lower rates for any reason before the end of the year.

Poll closed Dec 23, 2008.
  1. Are you nuts, do you want oil at $200... Fed will significantly raise rates 2.75% by end of year or

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  2. No friggin way - we'll see one or two hikes this year (2.25 or 2.5%)

22 vote(s)
    31.9%
  3. No, fed will keep rates unchanged at 2. The Economy is falling a part and a hike would be risky.

30 vote(s)
    43.5%
  4. Yes - The Fed might cut rates to starve off a market collapse or other calamity

16 vote(s)
    23.2%
  1. economic asylum in France

#11     Jun 29, 2008
  2. lower

#12     Jun 29, 2008
  3. Bernanke is, to use technical jargon, an asshole, so pick the most rational course, and then assume he'll do the opposite.

With that assumption, he never fails to disappoint.

#13     Jun 29, 2008
  4. I find it interesting how many people are voting for a cut. Yesterday afternoon I believe it was 0-12-12-2 Cut is now up to 7. hmmmm...

#14     Jun 29, 2008
  5. To all run outside and kill themselves like "The Happening"! :eek:

#15     Jun 29, 2008
  6. m22au

m22au

I agree that whatever the next move is, it will be a disappointment.

Either the financials will get hurt (if Fed Funds rate is increased) or oil will not fall (if Fed cuts rates).

In the last 12 months, on three separate occasions the Fed has stepped in and reacted to financial markets (what happened to only looking at growth and inflation?)

In August 2007, they cut the discount rate in response to a declining stockmarket. They did the same again in January 2008. Then in March 2008 they bailed out an overleveraged investment bank.

Given that I think the stockmarket is going lower, I think they will be cutting rates by the end of the year in response to plunging equities, possibly as soon as the September meeting.

They cut twice already in response to stockmarket declines, and you can be confident that they'll do it again.

#16     Jun 29, 2008
  7. [​IMG]

Fed's is either going to cut or create some new term facility at around 11,000.

#17     Jun 29, 2008
  8. Once the Fed is happy the banks are stable they will raise and continue to raise slowly but steadily. There will be a sell off in the markets [a final shift in wealth between weak and strong hands] that will probably mark the time to go long again.

Watch for oil to come down closer to the election.. Oil is the one thing that George W really knows something about.

#18     Jun 29, 2008
  9. Ashley

Ashley

any ideas on what their next move may be

#19     Jul 10, 2008
  10. Sounds about right :D

#20     Jul 10, 2008