POLL: Evolution vs. Creation by God

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by studentofthemarkets, Oct 24, 2021.

Evolution, Creation, God?

1. I am an atheist and believe the theory of evolution.

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  2. I am agnostic and believe the theory of evolution.

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. I believe the theory of evolution but the process was guided by aliens or other powers.

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  4. I believe God created using macro evolution: bacteria became an elephant.

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  5. I believe God specially created according to families/kinds.

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  6. Other-I believe something not represented on this poll.

6 vote(s)
    28.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Please take this anonymous poll. Only vote once. No changes allowed.

Thanks!

How do Paradigms influence what we believe about our Origins? - Dr. Paul Nelson

After Dr. Paul Nelson received his BA in philosophy with a minor in evolutionary biology from the University of Pittsburgh, he entered the University of Chicago, where he received his PhD (1998) in the philosophy of biology and evolutionary theory. He is a philosopher of biology who has been involved in the intelligent design debate internationally for over two decades.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
  2. notagain

notagain

Harmony beckons life into form. The whole thing is an idiot test that results in Let's go Brandon.

Bugenhagen likes this.
  3. https://profstuartburgess.com/bio-inspired-design/

Professor Stuart Burgess

Bio-inspired design

Stand still and consider the wondrous works of God. (Job 37:14)

He does great things which we cannot comprehend. (Job 37:5)

I have had the privilege of studying the design of living organisms such as birds, fish, insects and trees under the microscope in the laboratory. In particular I have studied the linkage mechanisms in jaws, limbs and wings and produced many scientific papers reporting the amazing features of design they contain. The supreme design found in nature is a huge challenge to evolution because if evolution were true, then nature must contain inferior design to human design because humans are not constrained by the severe restriction of step-by step change. Yet science has shown that nature contains clearly superior design to human technology. The conclusion must surely be that creation has a Designer.

Bio-inspired design

I have worked on several bio-inspired design projects including:

• Bio-inspired knee joint
    • Bio-inspired micro air vehicles
    • Bio-Inspired medical devices
    See below for pictures:

4. https://profstuartburgess.com/blog-2021/

5. What is the Importance of 'Bio-inspired' Design? - Dr. Stuart Burgess

murray t turtle likes this.

6. The Designer World (with Prof. Stuart Burgess)

Listen to AiG-UK’s Simon Turpin speak with one of the world’s leading mechanical engineers, Prof Stuart Burgess, about the complex design of the human body, how creation inspires good science, how belief in evolution hinders scientific research and how all creation is testament to the Creator and the consequences of the Fall of man.

7. I want to clarify what is meant by the 5th question in the poll. Wish I'd spent the time to write this in the first post, but better late then never, I hope. Here is that question:

I believe God specially created according to families/kinds.​

The taxinomic classification level of "family" doesn't always fit well with the reproductive abilities of a created group. This article by Don Stewart offers an explanation of what is meant in the Bible when it says refers to animal reproducing "after their kind."

In the first chapter of Genesis the phrase "after its kind" or "after their kind" occurs ten different times.

So God created great sea creatures and every living thing that moves, with which the waters abounded, according to their kind, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good (Genesis 1:21).

Some have taken this to mean that the Bible teaches the "fixity of the species,"-the idea that God created every single species and that none of these species ever changed.

Misunderstand Scripture

This misunderstands what the Bible says. The word translated in Genesis as "kind" is the Hebrew word min. It cannot be equated with our modern term species. This can be observed from the following passage in the Book of Leviticus where the following birds are mentioned:

The ostrich, the short-eared owl, the seagull, and the hawk after its kind: the little owl, the fisher owl and the screech owl (Leviticus 11:16,17).

Various Types

From this passage we see that the Bible recognizes various types of owls, as well as various types of other living creatures. Therefore, the biblical word "kind" is not limited to our modern term "species." There are many varieties of fish, plants, cattle, as well as men and women. John Klotz comments further:

We also need to recognize that the language of the Bible is the commonsense, everyday language of our newspapers. This language does not change; technical scientific language does change . . . . We may have new 'species' of tomatoes, but they are still the same 'kind.' There may be changes within the species, yet tomatoes have not developed into cantaloupes or watermelons. There may also have been changes within the dog 'kind,' but these have not developed into lions or bears (John Klotz, Studies in Creation, St. Louis: Concordia Publishing House, 1985, p. 76).

The Bible teaches "the fixity of the species" in that each biblical kind can only reproduce within certain fixed boundaries. Change within a kind, however, is consistent with the biblical teaching.

Summary

The Bible allows for change or variations within plants and animals. Scripture, however, limits the amount of change which can happen. Cats cannot mate with dogs, pigs with apes, etc. This limitation is exactly what we find in our world. Hence, the Bible is certainly not unscientific when its says that 'kinds' of plants and animals are limited in the degree in which they can change.
    https://www.blueletterbible.org/faq/don_stewart/don_stewart_686.cfm

8. What is a Biblical Kind? - Dr. Kurt Wise, Devotional Biology

What Is Baraminology? - Dr. Kurt Wise, Devotional Biology

Starting at 14 minutes into this video begins discussion on the taxinomic levels that may be where God's original creations began.

9. Why didn't you choose option # 4? God AND evolution?

10. I had a longer definition for some of the options but the poll limited the wording. Sorry for any confusion.

There are no time definitions placed on the poll questions, so this is not about old earth versus young earth creation timelines.

For believers in God, question #4 was meant to cover a belief in God and evolution: that God guided the evolutionary processes as a means to accomplish His creative work, crossing the boundaries between groups at a high level in the taxonomic system. The accepted belief among evolutionists is that the earliest forms of life were bacteria and all living things evolved from bacteria.

Question #5 is for those who believe that God specially creating living things at a high level in the taxonomic system and these reproduce only after their own kind.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
    #10     Oct 25, 2021
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.