POLL: Do you think ET members' median IQ is higher or lower than it was 5 years ago?

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by Thunderdog, Mar 17, 2009.

Do you think ET members' median IQ is higher or lower than it was 5 years ago?

1. Higher

128 vote(s)
    156.1%
  2. Lower

77 vote(s)
    93.9%
  1. Stated differently, is the discourse generally more intelligent or more stupid than it was 5 years ago?

2. What's with the fancy 4-silabul wurds?

3. Baywolf

Baywolf

What kind of poll is this?

I think the issue with this particular forum is the (lack of) quality of posts, this one included. What ET needs is a displayed reputation score for each user. Users that provide useful commentary will be voted up by their peers, and users that don't add value can be voted down in reputation.

Number of posts and date registered is not a measure of quality or respect, to me.

4. Loosen up, Tight Face.

5. bespoke

bespoke

i think you meant losen

6. Hard to say for sure...

I don't think anyone's IQ here has actually dropped directly...

However, I think that since there are more and more members on a daily business that the median IQ has dropped.

Reason being is since anything above average is exactly that- above average...therefore the more and more people that show up will most likely tend to bring the median IQ closer to average.

More and more idiots show up constantly which would drop the average IQ since each one brings the average down.

IOW the idiots outnumber the intelligent.

That being said, the AVERAGE discourse is worse than it was IMO...however, there are still good posts even if they are in the tiny minority.

I think ET has a much stronger tendency to attract ignorami than it used to. Not sure exactly why this is, as Baron, Joe, Magna, etc do a pretty good job of keeping it real. Hell, maybe everyone's IQ is dropping after all. lol

Sorry for the shitty grammer. :p

7. That's actually not too bad of an idea.
    While I voted for lower on the discourse scale, I notice a lot of mature forums tend to give titles, such as Sr. Member.
    It should not be awarded solely on length of membership, nor post count, but have some weighting based on peer feedback.

I've seen posters with very few posts, yet, their post quality is of considerably useful content; while I've also witnessed the opposite end of the spectrum (on a larger scale, unfortunately).

8. Where is the unchanged option.:p

9. Thanks TD. Now its perfect.:D

#10     Mar 17, 2009