POLL: Do you principally use a time-based, tick-based, or volume-based chart?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Gabfly1, Aug 12, 2010.

Do you principally use a time-based, tick-based, or volume-based chart?

1. Time-based

54 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. Tick-based

27 vote(s)
    27.3%
  3. Volume-based

18 vote(s)
    18.2%

1. proflogic or shall I say captain volume, yes gabfly taking advantage of your absence stirred things up quite a bit. A volume mutiny in the chart world. I see you are wasting no time setting the record straight.

PS. On a personal note, your vacation sounds great, watching Sting sing Roxanne must be something. You are right about Hershey Park, we went to well, Hershey chocolate world, very disappointed as well, a cheesy version of Disney. You actually came close to the Amish country, 1/2 hr east of Lancaster, PA. We like going there, staying on a farm, our young city slicker kids like milking the cows, feeding the goats. all that silly stuff...I find living among the corn fields and seeing the Amish say big fu@# you to the rest of the society very cool.

#41     Aug 18, 2010
  2. Bakinec

Bakinec

I've experimented with all three.

I have to say that each offers its own advantage. It will take too much time to offer an in-depth explanation, so I'll leave that with saying that you can see things with range charts and other things with volume charts, that you cannot see with time charts, and do things with time charts that will be ineffective with the other two.

Words of wisdom for ya'll... if you think success as a trader depends on which of these three you use, don't trade.

#42     Aug 18, 2010
  3. NoDoji,

I Couldn't agree with you more.

This is a little off subject,...but,...How completly do you pull your brain out of the decision to enter the trade,...

...To what extent if any, have you automated your trading system?

I have automated mine, I don't want my brain making irrational or emotional decisions.

Yes, I live and die by charts (and other stuff).

#43     Aug 18, 2010
  4. Bakinec

Bakinec

Really?

I must have extra good vision because I see entries on both, and many of them.

[​IMG]

#44     Aug 18, 2010
  5. We went . . .

We went to all of the Amish communities and stayed at the Double Tree in Lancaster for a couple days. We dropped by Intercourse but the wifey wouldn't bite . . . PA that is . . . :-0

I live near the other large Amish community surrounded by corn in Ohio, close to Berne Indiana and have a home on 5 acres with an acre garden. We're adding chickens & goats next year . . . oh boy. My son dreams about being a city slicker . . . maybe we can trade kids next Summer.

Oh, go on YouTube and watch the Sting concerts with the Royal Philharmonic . . . amazing.

#45     Aug 18, 2010
  6. KDASFTG

KDASFTG

Ms Debbie,

If you do not use charts in your daily decision making during trading, then what do you use? Please let the traders, who like myself use charts on a daily basis, learn what we are missing. One cannot justifiably make a blanket statement like yours, without the facts that would substantiate your claim. To do so is the height of irresponsibility and civility. Your characterization and indictment of traders who use charts begs for a proper response. Please respond.

Thank you

#46     Aug 18, 2010
  7. time and sales, orderbook/dom/level2, HFT algorithm stuff, news feed, and insider info could all be options . . .

also, ET member The Maestro made some cool looking software that analyzes bid/ask data without the use of charts . . .

#47     Aug 18, 2010
  8. Not that any one actually gives a darn, but I trade ES on a 3 minute OHLC backed up with a 5 minute and a 1 minute.

I use a real-time sentiment indicator (good for about 30 seconds) to help me determine the entry point after an entry signal has been produced (and some other stuff for Post Signal Analysis (it reduces the profit by a little and the risk by a lot))

I didn't realize how well a volume chart smooths out perturbations,...thanks ProfLogic & Tonkadad

Looks like I will be switching over.

...By the way, the question about automation is important to me...(NoDoji, feel free to use my own advice against me)...I am really curious.

Anyway,...Its back to my hole.

You all take care.

#48     Aug 18, 2010
  9. NoDoji

NoDoji

I've been feeling a bit at the end of my rope lately with regard to trading purely technical without interjecting the thought process, and so as of this past weekend I asked my wonderful geek of a husband to please automate my crude oil strategies. One thing this is doing is forcing me to express my rules for entry and exit in a manner that can be coded. My Skype group takes me to task, too, and that helps. "That was a long signal, why didn't you take it?" I sometimes have a logical, sensible reason, but just as often my reason is, "Because I'm an idiot." :p

#49     Aug 18, 2010
  10. I wasn't outlining all of the entries, more so commenting that at the level I am at the entry on the vol chart is a "easy to read" entry to get in early on a possible uptrend. In other words it is clearer to me on the vol chart than the min chart.

What is/are your trigger for entering on TL breaks, also what constitutes a TL break? Also where would you place your stop. If you could annotate a chart again with the above info that would be great.

thanks

#50     Aug 18, 2010