POLL: Do you principally use a time-based, tick-based, or volume-based chart?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Gabfly1, Aug 12, 2010.

Do you principally use a time-based, tick-based, or volume-based chart?

1. Time-based

54 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. Tick-based

27 vote(s)
    27.3%
  3. Volume-based

18 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. Sorry to say, the only way TS will offer sub-minute charts or accurate volume bar charting is to rebuild their program from scratch and considering current ownership . . . that is highly unlikely to happen.

#21     Aug 18, 2010
  2. I use a 5 min next to a 389 V chart for the CL (IB data feed thru Sierra)
    the 5 min shows the levels I want to watch and the 389 vol chart shows the action in more detail coming up to the levels on the 5 min.

#22     Aug 18, 2010
  3. Don't the levels show up on both charts? And why specifically 389?

#23     Aug 18, 2010
  4. limitdown

ProfLogic

Your both right,...What a dilema...???

#24     Aug 18, 2010
  5. The vertical lines are just to sync up the charts, I don't see a entry on the 5 min but i do see an entry on the vol chart (highlighted).

Well the reason I choose specific #'s for vol charts is based on a complicated mathematical algorithm, take the hypotenuse of an oblique triangle subtract 10 because we are in the lunar eclipse of Urainus add the....

The real answer is that I am into V-8 car engines 289, 327, 350, 389, 454. All of those are from the 60's.

PA traders please disregard those black squiggly lines at the bottom my son was messing around with his crayons again.

#25     Aug 18, 2010
  6. Nice correlated set up.

#26     Aug 18, 2010
  7. No dilema . . .
    What is great in this environment is that we can both be right . . . AND profitable.

#27     Aug 18, 2010
  8. Gabfly, I didn't answer the first part of your question, yes the levels show up on both charts but (you knew the "but" was coming) differently.

This is a chart of the TF say you started watching the chart at the vert. line, prior action is showing higher lows but also lower highs (possible triangle). The triangle by the way shows up much more clearly on the 5 min than vol chart.

Anyway I marked the same level on both charts (1.),

Are the levels the same? Close enough.

Do both charts show price moving thru the same level? Yes

I just see more fluidity/rhythm with the vol chart as it approaches the same level.

#28     Aug 18, 2010
  9. ===============
    Time measured woud [for practical purposes]include all charts;
    other wise the data would be meaningless, in any market. But I do understand your question, which is worded clearly:D

Technical analysis, by definition ,includes volume.:cool: So time & volume based, in any market......................................................

#29     Aug 18, 2010
  10. Yes, I thought that might be your reasoning. I just wanted to be sure. Thanks.

#30     Aug 18, 2010