POLL: Do you principally use a time-based, tick-based, or volume-based chart?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Gabfly1, Aug 12, 2010.

Do you principally use a time-based, tick-based, or volume-based chart?

1. Time-based

54 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. Tick-based

27 vote(s)
    27.3%
  3. Volume-based

18 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. You should never have started this thread. ProfLogic will be here in the next post to tout equivolume charting.

#11     Aug 12, 2010
  2. That is why EasySignal rocks!

#12     Aug 12, 2010
  3. why you so like that, have you got any that more efficient or more

#13     Aug 12, 2010
  4. volume-based seems easily to view and have more features that we can manipulate

#14     Aug 12, 2010
  5. I am sure by 2015 tradestation will have sub-minute charts. They are on a upward trajectory.

You sure did get gabfly all excited about the 1 second chart.

#15     Aug 12, 2010
  6. To quote the late lamented Warren Zevon, "He's just an excitable boy." You know those canucks.

#16     Aug 13, 2010
  7. Actually, I think one-second charts are a little too close to the sun for me.

#17     Aug 13, 2010
  8. For Bear, yes . . . I was on vacation and a wonderful 3 weeks it was. We saw 2 Sting concerts (his last in Saratoga Springs with front row seats was too cool). Spend 10 days in the Skaneateles area and then took our son on a historical tour of Gettysburg and Williamsburg. Finished with Hershey Park (what a disappointment).

LD,

I agree with your assessment of range bars.
    I agree with your assessment of tick charts.
    I do not agree with your assessment of the volume bars though. Time is embedded into the bars. You can create a cadence to the bars by increasing or decreasing the number of contracts or shares per bar. If you are getting too many bars then your charts are too fast. There is never a "blur" of bars if your charts are constructed based on the pace you normally trade; scalp (not recommended), fast intraday, slow intraday, fast swing, slow swing or position trading. Volume bars are the only naturally consistent way to view price action since the markets are traded one contract (or group of contracts) or one share (or group of shares) at a time. There is never a consistent correlation to the number of contracts or shares traded on any given minute or hour of any given day. Volume bars fine tune the timing of entries and exits they do not make them less accurate. Over trading of volume charting is specifically from trying to trade too fast of a chart.
    There are many ways to profit from our charts and that is why I am married to your final statement . . . "pick one and learn it well". You can make money using all forms of chart bar set ups but only YOU can determine what YOU are comfortable using. Once you find your comfort zone . . . take advantage of it!

#18     Aug 18, 2010
  9. Hey Joe,
    Equivolume charting isn't the same as constant volume bars.

#19     Aug 18, 2010
  10. Tradestation is in their own world and will only offer what "they" think is relevant. Some of what they do offer (volume bars) aren't accurate to begin with.
    Other vendors, for the most part, are too busy playing catch up to think far enough to into new inroads of their clients to be a viable option.

#20     Aug 18, 2010