POLL: Do you principally use a time-based, tick-based, or volume-based chart?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Gabfly1, Aug 12, 2010.

Do you principally use a time-based, tick-based, or volume-based chart?

1. Time-based

54 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. Tick-based

27 vote(s)
    27.3%
  3. Volume-based

18 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. Earlier today I started a poll regarding the use of sub-one-minute charts:

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=204834

It occurred to me that it would be interesting to know the proportion of people who principally use a time-based chart (i.e., 30-second, 5-minute, 1-hour, daily, etc.) as compared to those who principally use an activity-based chart, such as either volume-based or tick-based. Therefore, I give you yet another poll in which to participate.

2. You are showing some unusual talent there mr gabfly for polling; you may have a future as a pollester, preferably a political pollester.

2012 presidential election - Barack Obama vs the most dangerous words in english language (sarah palin for president)

3. lol :D

4. a pollster asked a passer-by, after a prolonged conversation,

"are you just ignorant or appethetic?"

the passer-by said:

"I don't know, and I don't care"

--------

hey, regarding the interval, what one needs to do is remember that whatever the vehicle under discussion (whether equity, option, future or other derivative instrument) if reality doesn't equate to multiple points on the chart then one is only frustrating oneself with a non-linear analysis of events.

simply put,

time charts rule!
    range charts attempt to relegate time to a secondary importance and sometimes become both comical and hyper-active

tick charts hide the essential element of volume as it has a role in the vehicle -- important in futures and currency trading applications

volume charts hide time, range and tick and relegate them to unimportant status, as when major participation arrives, then the frequency of a bar, candle or other line entry on the chart picks up to reflect that, however, this is only discernable in realtime (for it to be useful in trading). Another flaw in these intervals are the effect of plastering a chart with so many bars that whatever technical events are being searched for, will happen in a blur along with the blur of volume bars hitting the chart. That contributes to poorly timed trade entry and over trading to make up for mistakes from those initial trades.

net net net,

there is no peace,
    pick one and learn it well

5. I'm inclined to agree. At least for my own purposes.
    Yes, this is why I prefer the cadence of a time-based chart, as I noted in my other poll earlier today. Speaking of which, do you ever use sub-one-minute charts?

6. proflogic must be on vacation, otherwise, i would have thought mr volume would have issued a strong rebuttal by now.

I use volume charts, I tend to think they show trends better. also much better representation of overnight action.

PS. Interestingly tradestation and lot of other vendors don't offer sub 1 minute time charts...

7. None of the above

:eek: :cool:

8. Please participate in this poll if you have not yet done so. And, yes, I realize I left out range charts,

9. I have found great success in using volume charts trading at certain times of day with Index futures and range charts with currencies and grains. I believe time of trading session is as important as entrance, management, exit. When I worked on floor, very few locals stayed down there all day. Filling brokers hated the fact they had to stay in pit all day.

10. Neither.
    1.5 point Range Charts.

#10     Aug 12, 2010