Poll --- Discretionary Trader or System Trader???

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by scalper21, Jun 21, 2006.

What type of trader are you?

Poll closed Jul 1, 2006.
  1. Discretionary Trader who uses order book/tape reading to make trading decisions

9 vote(s)
    10.5%
  2. Discretionary Trader that uses technical analysis to make trading decisions

49 vote(s)
    57.0%
  3. System Trader who manually enters trades

20 vote(s)
    23.3%
  4. System Trader who is 100% automated

8 vote(s)
    9.3%
  1. So, how do I vote for one, two, and three?

Everyone has a system (even the ones who have no clue why they're buying and selling would still be basing decisions on coin flips or voodoo or moon phases or something, so even they would be using a system) So maybe it should be a poll asking who manually enters orders based purely on a mechanical system's rules, who uses technical analysis with discretionary decision making, and who uses pure automated trading systems?

Then there are always the Kudlow and Cramer contrarian traders that you'd have to keep in mind... What would you call them? I mean they're making decisions based on what? Seriously, they're not actually discretionary are they? They only follow one mechanical rule, and that's taking the opposite side of someone else's recommendations... That's not technical, is it?

#11     Jun 21, 2006
  2. Moreagr

Moreagr

#12     Jun 22, 2006
  3. #13     Jun 22, 2006
  4. Murray Ruggiero

Murray Ruggiero Sponsor

Interesting Poll, Here is my question for non system traders , why don't you believe in systems ?. This might even be a good topic for a new poll.

#14     Jun 23, 2006
  5. And now it is time for the only prediction Elite Trader has ever seen that will absolutely come true. This pick can't lose. Make me a martyr baby...

Here it is:
    "I guarantee this post will get deleted..."

If not my entire "Official" O-ST&P-Bs thread...

O-ST&P-Bs

http://elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=71562

#15     Jun 24, 2006
  6. Its not a question of not believing in systems at least in my case its simply that I can only figure out how to code a part of what I do. I am thinking about coding that part and then having a manual input to classify the other part and activate only the valid entry conditions and exit conditions. But so far I havent done it.

FWIW I have written many thousands of lines of C and perhaps thousands of lines of easylanguage so its not the coding thats the issue.

#16     Jun 24, 2006