Poll: Did Jesse Jackson help cause today's selloff?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Molon Labe, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Quit cluttering the Trading section with these BS threads. Go to chit chat and let the real traders post serious stuff in this section.

#11     Jan 15, 2003
  2. This is by far the funniest thread I have seen on this board...and as for G2NKO or what ever...Get a clue....thier has been many directed toward you.

comp

#12     Jan 15, 2003
  3. so, what, saying JJ is a crook is racist? Puh-leeze. Double standards aren't good things for traders to indulge in.

#13     Jan 15, 2003
  4. SubEtha

SubEtha

LOL!

"who rang the opening bell" - Gets my vote for Worst Indicator Ever.

This belongs in the trading forum??

#14     Jan 15, 2003
  5. You should hook up with GD2KNO, you two would make a nice pair but be sure to skip Florida and chase something outside the US...

comp

#15     Jan 15, 2003
  6. I think the Rev. Jackson performs a very useful function. The "contributions" to his charitable foundation are public record and provide a good guide to the quality of corporate management. If you want to invest in a company run by cowardly weasels, then go for a big contributor. Today's Washington Times lists the following:

AT &T $300,000 (!)
    Ameritech 15,000
    Apple 10,000
    Bank One 65,000
    Bank of America 15,000
    Black Entertainment Television 100,000
    Burger King 100,000
    Citigroup Foundation 250,000
    Coca-Cola 50,000
    Delta Air Lines 15,000
    General Motors 50,000
    Lockheed Martin 15,000
    MetLife 150,000
    NASCAR (???) 150,000
    Sprint 50,000
    Texaco 10,000
    UPS Foundation 75,000

There are others such as unions and law firms. Also, the above are only money paid to his charitable arm. He has other operations that generate funds as well. I believe for example that American Expres is a big contributor. No doubt some exec's rationalize it as cheaper than lawsuits and bad publicity. The problem is that bullies like Jackson thrive on two things, legitimacy and success. These big companies give him both and make it harder for others to stand up to his coercion.

All in all, short selling the above list would have been a good strategy. Indeed, the stupidity and venality of management seems somewaht proportional to the money paid.

#16     Jan 15, 2003
  7. INTC earnings and corporate reinvestment in development as well as reduced expectation of upcoming ([pipeline]) sales were not what the market wanted to hear.

INTC spread to AMAT, KLAC, telephones, chips and other softare firms.

Anyone could have rung the opening bell, what we are not holding liable are the failed economic policies, and lack there of as cause celebre'.

Perhaps one should look to where responsibility actually does remain and not to those BOLD enough to speak out regarding more "theft of public trust" through deceptive tax policies. Remember, until you're personally cashing those $1,000,000 checks you're just like every other person.

yeah, the rich are really different....

#17     Jan 15, 2003
  8. BCE

BCE

Agree fully.
    Molon Labe - If you feel so compelled, and can't hold back, save your racist, fascist views for the chit chat threads. These threads are to discuss trading and the markets.

#18     Jan 15, 2003
  9. Foz

Foz

I smell an indoctrinated Ayn Rand Objectivist. To most people a looter is one who steals during a riot. To an Objectivist a looter is anyone not an Objectivist.

Not that I agree with Jackson's politics, mind you...

#19     Jan 15, 2003
  10. Oh, do you mean the politics of class warfare?

#20     Jan 15, 2003