Poll: Destop or Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Willleung, Apr 1, 2007.

Laptop or Desktop

1. Laptop

10 vote(s)
    24.4%
  2. Desktop

31 vote(s)
    75.6%
  1. Hello Traders,

I started with a Laptop, and added a Desktop for charts and TA.

What about you? and what's the reason behind your setup?

Anyone went all laptops?

2. I'd guess most traders use a desktop because a laptop may not have the card needed to support multiple screens. Plus desktops are easier to use.

3. I trade with a Laptop. But due to the need for a ton of monitors, I'll be switching to a FULL desktop solution (right now I am 2 monitors with this laptop system)

Advantages of a laptop. if you have temp power outage, your computer doenst just shut down. Of course APS Backups work great as well. I have an APC 1400 4 battery unit that gives me about an hour of uptime after an outage..... (In my studio though. LOL)

For trading I have exceeded the need for more than 2 monitors. I need at minimum 3 but am going to 4.

Personally I think it is better to trade with a desktop. Desktops overall are built to run faster than laptops.

I have added a trackball, 20" LCD and an external keyboard to my laptop so it's like running a desktop .. almost.... I also use a 60GB external for daily system backups...

4. If you need multi-monitor support, you pretty much have to use a desktop. I could be wrong, but I don't recall seeing a laptop or desktop replacement that can handle more than 2 monitors. I guess the reason is that a laptop is meant to be portable and if you have 3+ monitors, you probably aren't transporting your computer and monitors each day, which makes sense.

I also find that desktops are easier to customize and make hardware changes.

5. The best you can do is 3 monitors but that severly limits your screen res, so in essence, it isnt even worth your time to do it.

6. To get a comparable rig with laptop is 2-4 times a much. I was looking at traveling trading set up, 2 fast laptops and 2 17" folding screens with a matrox extenders. Looking at 2-3k. The laptops alone are about $1300 each from Dell. Tha'ts a 17" screen. I can't downsize to 15" after using 5 19"s. Right now I can get a screaming fast Dell, I just bought one for $460 and buy a 19" for 150.

I know some of you may not need the travel features I am looking into. This is closet apples to apples comparison I could get. Now one could say why do you need 2 laptops for travel trading. I don't want to put all my processes running 1 cpu. I did that and I saw the CPU spike to 100% too much. Now I have charts on 1 and dom and other stuff on the other. When I really get my act together I will stop surfing on my trading computer and get a third, at $500 why not, and just have 1 computer for personal, 1 for charts, and 1 for dome with everything installed on each computer for redundancy.

Post edit. Now some will same laptop for dom in case you lose power, because laptops typically run for about 2 hours. My point though, is why run a laptop for dom, when I have no charts? I don't want to risk my $$$ hoping that battery meter is correct. I have bb good for about 10 minutes of full power or 20 minutes partial trading. Beyond that I will just shut down. If it becomes an issue Costco/Sams have great generators for under 1k.

7. the thing with laptops is they aren't ergonomic. a seperate monitor allows viewing at eye level. Looking down at a laptop screen creates alot of eye and neck strain.

8. I'm on a desktop w/1 monitor.
    I don't wanna get dependent on looking at too much junk. Clutters up my mind and takes up too much room.

I would like a laptop for traveling, but I"m not sure my brother in law's wireless system in his house (the only place I"d travel to and trade) has the speed I need for futures.

I really don't wanna be 5 seconds off on a chart.

If anyone has a suggestion I"d be very happy to read about it.
    :)

9. Desktop all the way. Most laptop keyboards feel like crap.

10. Both,

Desktop for the multi monitor setup. Laptop for travel or coffee shop breaks.

I use the laptop along with the desktop for broker front end, and net surfing. Desktop is just charts.

When traveling, I take along a 19" monitor. Fits in suitcase easy. I just tape cardboard over the screen, and wrap in bubble wrap. I travel a lot.

BTW, Matrox will allow you to run 4 screens with a laptop, in high res. The laptop monitor + 3 external. You have to have a really good video card in the laptop though. The Nvidia GeForce with some HP's does the job. If you do this, get a 17" laptop, 3 19" LCD's, and 2 gigs RAM. If running XP, 1 gig will do. each external can run native res of a 19" (1280 X 1024).

#10     May 10, 2007