POLL...Best API for for IB order entry...

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by Breakout, Sep 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heated? Nah, it's just handbags at 10 paces this stuff (but as you wish!). BTW, what product do you use? Don't be shy .... :)

#41     Sep 20, 2003
  2. fabrizio

fabrizio

No Sorry, it not biased and misleading at all.

I am Using NT and i can only say one thing: It is a very good program.
    Well Studied, well designed, well developed , stable enough to commit your money to it.

I believe that Mt has something against a well done and appreciate program, don't you?

#42     Sep 20, 2003
  3. Of the four applications I know; ButtonTrader, AutoTrader, Bracket Trader and Ninja Trader. I must say that all but ButtonTrader work and perform about the same. Each got it's own little issues, the interface is slightly different and each got it's own little advantages and disadvantages.

On the other hand, as soon as you run ButtonTrader you will see that it's very different, the interface is different, the capabilities are different with many more options and configurable variables. It's much more robust in many different ways.

It's all a question of what you really need in your trading. Just a quick one click entry interface, a quick breakout setup entry, etc. then ButtonTrader is too much for you.

While AutoTrader and Bracket Trader are free, Ninja Trader and ButtonTrader are subscription services with a monthly fee. The bottom line really is: If you just need quickness and simplicity why would you pay for it when you can use a similar application for free? If the extra capabilities of ButtonTrader enhance your trading and are worth the monthly fee, than that would be your best choice.

As it's been said before, you will never know until you try.

TM Trader

#43     Sep 20, 2003
  4. Different opinions make the world go round :)

The numbers just don't bear you out though. Why are 670 people following the support forum for Ninja if they can get essentially the same product elsewhere for free? Are 670 people totally thick?! Why are only 62 people in the Button support forum when the product has been out for several weeks if it is so superior?

Ninja has many features that are superior to all other products but it would be boring to list them all here. Suffice it to say that it more than pays for itself for the majority of people. But features aside: why would you pay a monthly fee? It's very simple. The level of support from the developer of Bracket-Trader, the level of training on his product, the level of desire to fix bugs ...all reflect the price which he charges (nothing). Have BracketTrader go down on you, or mishandle a trade, and good luck getting a detailed personal response from Pretzel within the hour! Ray Deux by contrast takes great care to ensure his product is bug-free, user-friendly, with the key features most traders want , and he backs it all up with great support and training. With 1000's of dollars on the line flowing through these products ...why you would choose the freebie route is lost on me! I suspect only the guys who aren't profitable are using the freebie products.

ButtonTrader is way too complicated and lacks user-friendliness, and as I said in an earlier post ...all the arguments about it's supposed technical advantages (like tick volume analysis) fall totally apart when you consider the fact that ALL these programs are being fed by IB's datafeed which is not true streaming. How anyone can analyse Button's tick volume stuff and think they have some sort of competitive advantage is lost on me. You're missing 30-40% of ticks for god's sake!!!

670 vs 62

Enough said.

#44     Sep 20, 2003
  5. bronks

bronks

I don't know but I'm really partial to IB's TWS myself. It does exactly what I want it to do, when I want it done, with a minimal amount of fluff. And it only takes up about 1/10th of display space on my monitor. Program some hot keys and BOOM, you're there. I know it's a little off-topic but I can't help it...I dig the interface. Or maybe I'm just used to it.

#45     Sep 20, 2003
  6. Oh boy, you are in for a real treat. Go and download / install ANY of these programs and you'll feel like what you were doing with TWS was from the stone age :)

#46     Sep 20, 2003
  7. I've tried Autotrader, Bracket Trader, Futures-Trader, TSimPlus, and NinjaTrader. I like the Main window sizing option of NinjaTrader and the way in which I can access different parts of the program -- statistics and strategy, usually. I really can live without the fancy SuperDOM display and all the little add-ons. I'd be happy if NinjaTrader remained just as it is right now. Simple. Direct. Stable.

#47     Sep 20, 2003
  8. bronks

bronks

I just may do that! Gotta see what all the hubbub is about.

#48     Sep 20, 2003
  9. Intrinsic,

ButtonTrader, AutoTrader and some other programs can replay IB data simulating the IB datafeed. To have QuoteTracker be able to chart that data, all you have to do is start ButtonTrader instead of TWS and set ButtonTrader to replay the data on the default port for TWS (7496). That way, the datafeed looks like its coming from TWS when its really coming from the program providing the replay.

Simtrader - I have no idea whether or not NinjaTrader is better than the others. However, using Yahoo group membership counts as a way to determine that is total BS. Those #s can mean so many different things - maybe one program is very buggy and thus requires more support than the other? ButtonTrader has not been around for as long, so it does not have as many people using it. If one program is more expensive than the other, its likely to have less users, even if its much better than the competition. Or maybe one developer encourages the users to post on the Yahoo Group while the others prefer to use email or their own message boards?

Basically, that comparison is totally meaningless.

NOTE: The above comments were not meant to judge any one product better than the other since I have not used any of them.

Jerry Medved
    http://www.quotetracker.com

#49     Sep 20, 2003
  10. I see from the top right of ET's home page that a new member 'ButtonTrader' from The Netherlands has just registered on the site. You can also find the same person registered here under the name 'Hoi'. So please everybody give a big warm ET welcome to the developer of Buttontrader who has just registered on ET yet again, after being directed to this thread by one of his followers. Expect the poll count for Buttontrader to now reflect at least two votes from its developer. And those are just the usernames that I know about!

But please, don't expect Hoi to respond to anything I might say. You see, he told me in another forum that I was a "very rude person" and that I should not ask him any more questions because he wouldn't answer me. I had very politely asked him a direct question - god forbid!

BTW: one point not discussed in this thread so far re: these products ...is each developer's attitude and philosophy towards potential customers. Obviously Ray Deux's "the man" in my opinion. But I've also had conversations with both Pretzel (Bracket Trader) and Christian (Futures Trader). Both of whom are straight up guys. Hoi is the only one whose attitude leaves me totally cold. Before you spend your money on any of these products I believe it is important to get a sense of what the developer is about. I can say critical things about Ninjatrader to Ray Deux and he takes it in stride. I suspect that nobody but nobody using Button, dare say anything critical to Hoi.

Rumour even has it that Hoi responds in these forums by drafting notes for his followers to post, in order to avoid the problem of not being a paid advertiser. But I do not know if this remour is true. I'll only say that the Poll vote count for Buttontrader in this thread looks suspiciously high given the fact that only 62 people are in the prorgram's email support group.

So, welcome back Hoi, ButtonTrader or whatever your latest incarnation is. How are you? And how many times have you & Louis voted so far?! No, no, no ....please don't rush to respond - I know we're "not talking" !!!

#50     Sep 20, 2003
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.