POLL: Are you troubled more by losing trades or decent moves missed by your method?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Gabfly1, Jan 29, 2010.

Are you troubled more by losing trades or decent moves missed by your method?

1. Losing trades

50 vote(s)
    42.0%
  2. Missed moves

69 vote(s)
    58.0%
  1. I'm guessing you didn't trouble yourself by reading any of the preceding posts.

#11     Jan 29, 2010
  2. Aitch Eff Tee

Aitch Eff Tee Guest

I certainly don't have the ultimate strategy because I believe the notion is nonsensical.

My point was that, although many people may not realise it, if you are more concerned about one than the other then you don't understand the relationship between the two.

#12     Jan 29, 2010
  3. Evidently, you have found the ideal balance most suited to you and the markets you trade. I think that's wonderful.

#13     Jan 29, 2010
  4. time stamp check

#14     Jan 29, 2010
  5. Redneck

Redneck

Gabfly1 (intresting name btw)

If you’re asking while I’m trading then neither

For if either trouble me – I am living in the past

I must always trade in the present – while keeping an eye toward the future

If you’re asking about off hours

It’s a toss up – if either the losses too great, and / or the misses too often – because I held an opinion

RN

#15     Jan 29, 2010
  6. Illum

Illum

The later, but it is almost never a methodical problem, almost without fail emotional.

#16     Jan 29, 2010
  7. Hello

Hello

Why on earth would you be troubled by a decent move that didnt register in your system. I could go to the top gainers and losers every single day and find massive moves, which I was not in on.

It is a totally new ballgame though if your system told you to do something and you didnt follow the rules, and then missed a move, that is worse than a loss in my book, as losses are inevitable with any trading method.

#17     Jan 29, 2010
  8. Agree 1000%

#18     Jan 29, 2010
  9. This is the difference between Type I and Type II errors, between false positives and false negatives. The distinction was first, ARAIK, articulated by William James, in his famouse lecture "The Will to Believe," and has been the subject of much debate and analysis since. The relative costs are situation dependent, but the analysis is tractable under common Bayesian statistical approaches.

#19     Jan 29, 2010
  10. maxpi

maxpi

I'm still developing as a screen trader. I focused on automated stuff for years but went to the screen to get further education... my next evolution has to be to get past worrying about losses, my Risk/Reward is about 1:3 and the success rate is very high.. losses [getting stopped out] should not bother me at all really.

"It's not whether I win or lose, it's whether I lose" seems to plague me a bit..

#20     Jan 29, 2010