Political Expert On CNBC: Bin Laden Death Will Not Boost Obama Re-Election Hopes

Discussion in 'Politics' started by rc8222, May 3, 2011.

1. rc8222

rc8222

http://www.cnbc.com/id/42872032

The euphoric scenes that met the death of Osama Bin Laden will not boost President Barack Obama's re-election hopes, according to Alastair Newton, a political analyst at Nomure in London.

“The immediate reaction in the US notwithstanding, 'normal business' will soon be resumed in US politics. There will be no change on the fiscal/debt polarization and contrary to some commentators' reaction, definitely no election boost for Obama,” said Newton in an interview with CNBC on Tuesday.

With little or no operational control over al-Qaeda in recent years, Newton believes Osama’s death will have little impact on the terror group’s ability to mount attacks.

“Bin Laden’s role as head of al-Qaeda seems to have been largely symbolic for some years now, he was not responsible for operational planning and decision-making,” he added.

Following the brief rally on news of Bin Laden’s death, stocks gave up gains and Newton told CNBC that he agrees with the market reaction.

“There is no readily identifiable substantive reason for the market rally which the announcement of his bin Laden’s death triggered,” he said.

“The US and UK authorities, among others, are, in my view, wise to warn of a possible increase in the terrorist threat and of a possible civil unrest threat to western embassies etc in some countries, the terrorism risk may rise,” Newton added.

:D

2. Ricter

Ricter

Quit spamming the board. All of these could go in one or two threads.

3. Ask Newton whether the history books would record it or not ?

4. Why don't people pay attention to this fact?

5. I think one item being overlooked is the trove of documents, hard drives, etc collected during the raid.

This may prove to be far more valuable than anything else .

Seneca

6. People pay attention only to the "facts" the MSM/Administration tells them to believe.

7. Mnphats

Mnphats

I agree.

But why tell the world about these documents and hard drives? Why not keep the information to themselves.

8. I agree; although anyone who thinks about will realize that the raid team would collect anything that had intelligence value. Makes me wonder where the survivors went and who gets to question them .

They are another big "haul" from the raid. Too bad the "couriers" got killed; they would jave been very valuable.

Seneca

9. There never was any competition anyway. Michelle Bachman? Huckleberry? They're all Huckleberries and Ryans bill sealed it.

10. Seneca is a smart person. who knows as yet what they recovered. :cool:

#10     May 3, 2011