Poker vs Trading

Discussion in 'Trading' started by James3313, Aug 6, 2008.

1. No, to make money you need to multi-table.

#41     Aug 13, 2008
  2. I am over-rolled. I have 30 full buy-ins at each site i.e. $30,000.

This means I don't have the hassle of refilling on downswings.

Win rate is around 3 bb/100 (1.5ptbb/100), but I multi-table massively.

Yes, other players do not like what I do, since I leave the table on doubling up.

#42     Aug 13, 2008
  3. ElCubano

ElCubano

not true

#43     Aug 13, 2008
  4. Playing my kind of shortstack strategy you do... I should have been specific...

#44     Aug 13, 2008
  5. I always got a kick out of the forum discussions on how shortstacking is "unethical" lol. Bunch of whining 18 year old kids mad that someone found a way to get an edge on them. They don't think there is anything wrong with 8 table PAHUDING the fish to death of course.

I don't think there is any problem with either, since poker is all about taking money from other people!

#45     Aug 13, 2008
  6. I have found i do the best playing on small non pokertracker sites as a prop. Right now the site I am playing most of the action is at .50/1 NL buy my hourly is ridiculous, like 160+ because all the fish buy in for 200 BB, plus 100% RB.

#46     Aug 13, 2008
  7. bighog

bighog Guest

Great post: Someone sensible in ET. :)

Don Bright
    Bright Trading, LLC

08-12-08 03:53 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote from crgarcia:

In the markets, past performance influences future price movements.

In poker previous results have nothing to do with future results. (i.e. poker is completely random, markets are NOT).
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You might get a discussion from those much smarter than me about both of those statements. You have a finite number of cards thus not a totally random walk. And, in the markets when earnings surge and the stock falls 10% this time vs. rising 10 % the last time it had good earnings...?? Makes one wonder a bit.

Both are much easier and more fun than working for a living, that's the important part, LOL.

Don

#47     Aug 13, 2008
  8. Poker results are OPPONENT dependent... hence the extensive use of HUDs to determine the best tables to play on...

Good cards only matter to a small extent... what matters more is how well your opponents play relative to how you play...

#48     Aug 14, 2008
  9. ElCubano

ElCubano

Unless of course you get the bad beat and then cards matter mucho....:D

#49     Aug 14, 2008
  10. Life is not a matter of holding good cards,
    but of playing a poor hand well.

Robert Louis Stevenson

As in poker....

Don :)

#50     Aug 14, 2008