Poker vs Trading

Discussion in 'Trading' started by DuyLe, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Poker like trading is gambling, and most gamblers lose money.

To make serious money to have to think longer term.

#11     Oct 18, 2007
  2. ***DISCLOSURE***
    I profit off of each person who goes through the following link and registers. I have a marketing relationship with the company and do not want to mislead anyone here or have my ethics questioned.

That being said, if you're trying to find a place to do some virtual trading in real-time, check out GrandSynergy.com.

There's an image-link of a Bull fighting a Bear to a great site for trading tournaments to win cash prizes or try out your techniques.

I use the site often to test my eye for the riskier trades (intra-day reversals, etc.) and enjoy the fact that I can do so without risking large sums of capital.

They host Daily, Weekly, Monthly, and Quarterly Tournaments.

#12     Oct 18, 2007
  3. Something must work for those who take either profession seriously.

PROFESSIONAL GAMBLERS AT WORK
    INTERVIEW WITH THE BRIGHT BROS.: CARD COUNTERS TURNED STOCK MARKET MILLIONAIRES
    (posted with all humility)

http://www.blackjackforumonline.com/content/Brightint.htm

There is a big difference between playing blackjack or poker and "gambling" - same as the difference between "day" trading and profssional trading, IMHO.

Don

#13     Oct 18, 2007
  4. thanks for the link

sounds like a good read

#14     Oct 18, 2007
  5. Trading is like playing Razz, 7card Stud, and Omaha...

Most of the amateurs involved have no clue what they're doing. They jump in head first, lose more than they can afford to, and then go complain about it on internet forums. :D

#15     Oct 18, 2007
  6. most are similar

when you play poker, you need study the relationship between your opponents' reactions (face expression, eye movement, hand pose, leg pose change, ...., or whatever, for example, if he gets "A", he may move his eye from left to right two times) and what cards he gets, sometimes you may use nasty tricks such as using third party signals to find out your opponenet's position, from this point, poker playing is a pure intellectual detective game, not gambling game as most people think

trading is more complex than poker, since when you play poker, you can study your opponent in advance over and over, for example watch his playing in video over and over, and rember what he does, all his playing pattern can be carefully examined, but in trading, it seems any moment is unique, looks similar, but totally different since everyday there are new players who joined the playing, i.e., the combinations are huage, but cards's combination is very limited. you may buy a dipp and the market rallies, but next time, it may not work!

#16     Oct 18, 2007
  7. Poker is a zero sum game.

The stock market is NOT a zero sum game.
    Since the money invested at IPOs produces more money (generally speaking, over the very long term), which in turn increases companies assets, which increases share price.
    More assets can (and usually do) produce more earnings, and so on.

#17     Oct 18, 2007
  8. LOL, certainly some validity to that.

Don :p

#18     Oct 18, 2007
  9. How so? You roll dice. Fun yes, requires skill - not really.

PS there have been many posts like this - This site should really have a search feature to look for key words and phrases. It would prolly eliminate 1/2 the postings. :D

Sorry, didn't read the whole thread... what company plays poker for a position to the winner?

#19     Oct 18, 2007
  10. I did a video on you tube on Behavioral Trading

I mentioned at the end that trading is like the world series
    of poker every day, due to who we trade with we are not equally
    matched in the trading arena, sports teams are matched by skill
    boxers are matched by class, we are trading against the best traders from GOLDMAN, BEAR STERNS, LEHMAN and all the local
    traders on the floor that get the information on who is buying
    faster than the rest of us.

Check out the videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/TradePilotPro

Take Care,

Joe Baker

#20     Oct 18, 2007