Poker players make the best traders?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by viruscore1, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

I'm a professional poker player and professional trader. Your posting was extremely simplistic and did not identify different playing styles at eclectic stakes. There certainly is a lot of value in playing only premium hands.

#51     Jan 26, 2018
  2. ElCubano

ElCubano

Okok Mr. Professional. In my respectful opinion there is much less value in ONLY playing premium hands. There is much more value in knowing how to play shitty hands which is what you will get dealt the bigger percentage of the time. Besides there are many ways to play/style a hand and come out winning. I'm a simplistic type of dude so are my posts. What else are you a professional at?

#52     Jan 26, 2018
    Van_der_Voort_4 and KevinD like this.
  3. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

From this posting, one can tell that you haven't played too much. Interesting posting though.

#53     Jan 26, 2018
  4. ElCubano

ElCubano

I’m going to go play now. Lol. I’m all ears, if you would like to take the time to explain to a novice why my posts lead you to make your statements. Thanks buddy have a great weekend.

#54     Jan 26, 2018
  5. John9999

John9999

I have played ALOT of poker over the last 8 years. At one point I was playing 7 days per week. I’ve read poker books. Purchased training programs, etc. I’ve made money. I’ve lost money.

This I can tell you.... POKER IS MUCH HARDER TO SUCCED IN THAN TRADING!

there’s a ton of reasons why. But basically it’s the human element and the idiot factor.

But. Many of those challenges exist for trading. There are several books that Compare trading to poker.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    #55     Jan 26, 2018
    lolTRICKDu likes this.
  6. This is so good to hear. I'm working my way into active trading and would LOVE for your statement to be true. Starting over in trading reminds me of my first days playing poker. There is so much to learn that it's overwhelming but also so stimulating.

One of the other parallels I've noticed between the two is that so many people say long term success is sooo difficult and how 99% fail. I'm not yet sure about trading, but I know in poker it wasn't so bad once I decided to take an analytical approach and study the game as a student rather than as a gambler.

#56     Jan 26, 2018
  7. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

Totally agree.

#57     Jan 26, 2018
    lolTRICKDu likes this.
  8. John9999

John9999

Plus the time you will spend at poker tables vs the money is not worth it. On a per hour basis you will make more trading and it’s much more enjoyable. The poker life is hard. Long hours without sleep, hanging with people you don’t like, bad food , etc.

#58     Jan 26, 2018
    lolTRICKDu likes this.
  9. Overnight

Overnight

Guys. stop the madness with this shit, really.

---

You and someone else are head-to-head in a no-limit hold 'em game.

Cards are dealt. You have a two of spades, two of hearts.

Blinds are cast.

The flop reveals a 4 and 5 spades, and another 2.

You have 3 of a kind on flop with a possible straight and possible straight flush. What does the other guy have? Maybe two 4s or 5s for a four-bagger, maybe Ace and King spades.

He goes all-in.

What do you do?

You have a possible straight, straight flush or four of a kind. Meanwhile he might have the same but with a higher four-of-a-kind possibility, or higher straight-flush. How can you know?

That is not trading, that is poker which takes skill. READING the PLAYER. The markets are not the bloodlust that is poker. But trading takes skill as well. But the reasons to hold or fold in trading are so far and away from the reasons to do so in poker that I am sad so many people here are so short-sighted that they continue to equivocate the two.

#59     Jan 26, 2018
  10. KevinD

KevinD

You are the "yin" to Buy1Sell2's "yang". One guy sounds like he's heavily sedated and you sound a bit too emotional. It's nothing more than bullshitting, not to be taken so seriously.

#60     Jan 26, 2018