Poker players make the best traders?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by viruscore1, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Cards are a faux, fixed, semi-predictable environment...with not that many variables to consider.

The market is way much more complex, and deeper. and open to higher degrees of ambiguity. o_O
    To succeed greatly in the longer run trading, rather than playing poker, it requires another world of complexity and depth and maturity and wisdom.

Can you dig it,

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    #31     Jan 22, 2018
    Nine_Ender likes this.
  2. This is absolutely correct. The post you responded to is a great example of someone not knowing what they don't know. No offense to the other poster intended, but I found the exchange funny.

#32     Jan 22, 2018
    777 likes this.
  3. 777

#33     Jan 22, 2018
    Diceman1983 likes this.
  4. I got into my first trading job solely based on the fact that I played poker. I still had to do all the interview rounds, but the bank's recruiter would never have invited me otherwise (liberal arts degree).

Edit: I don't think my poker experience gave me an edge in trading though.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    #34     Jan 25, 2018
  5. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

No---Trading is easier than poker.

#35     Jan 25, 2018
    Overnight likes this.
  6. KevinD

KevinD

It kinda depends on the poker opponent, don't it?

Like saying "tennis is hard"

#36     Jan 25, 2018
    userque likes this.
  7. KevinD

KevinD

In my opinion, the speed of poker gives it some consistency. It becomes a routine and you can develop a rhythm. Trading is a different beast because each trade varies in the amount of time held (which is probably why people like to automate and eliminate the emotion variable).

#37     Jan 25, 2018
    SimpleMeLike likes this.
  8. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

Trading properly has very little variance. Poker on the other hand-----

#38     Jan 25, 2018
  9. KevinD

KevinD

False

#39     Jan 25, 2018
  10. KevinD

KevinD

"properly" has not been defined and could also have a great deal of variance. If one were trading in 2000 or 2008, one could have made a fortune (but still with a great deal of variance).

A poker player up against a table of novices might experience little variance. The cards are only a small part of the equation.

#40     Jan 25, 2018