poker player tries his hand at futures trading

Discussion in 'Journals' started by fletch2, Dec 6, 2005.

1. novel20

novel20

Charlie,

Did you trade accordingly based on the signal? Looks like it catch all the highs and lows. This is incredible. Catch all tops and bottoms and reverse at all the right points.

Does this technical anlaysis works on stocks as well? Could you please use it on RIMM?

Thanks,

Novel20

#51     Dec 22, 2005
  2. This is Fletch's thread. This is something I was showing him. As I stated if I could have sent this in a PM I would have but ET doesn't give you that option.

No more questions please. This is Fletch's thread.

#52     Dec 22, 2005
  3. cnms2

cnms2

fletch2,

Nice analysis! You might find a few interesting suggestions to further your analysis in the "Comprehensive Trading & Risk Analysis Report" prepared by Van Tharp's IITM for a trader. It provides a comprehensive analysis of this trader's results, and provides suggestions for improving his performance.

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=909086#post909086

#53     Dec 22, 2005
  4. fletch2

fletch2

Your question is rhetorical.

If this is a typical set of signals for your system, why are you posting on ET instead of enjoying your incredibly secure retirement in some exotic locale?

I will re-state what I said before: I don't care about win rates. Give me a positive expectancy and sufficient opportunity to exploit my edge. Win rate is just another stat, by itself it is not a meaningful metric. Of course your "typical chart" looks a little too perfect in all respects, so forgive me for being skeptical. I can't help but wait for your imminent offer to start sharing details for a "low, low price." No matter what your intentions really are, you have to admit this picture perfect a-posteriori chart looks like a lead-in to a sales pitch.

Cheers,
    Fletch

#54     Dec 22, 2005
  5. It was what it was. I'm done with this thread.

Merry Christmas

#55     Dec 22, 2005
  6. Magna

Magna Administrator

Guys,

This is fletch2's thread, not Charlie Dow (who promised he was finished here). Let's keep it that way. Thanks.

#56     Dec 22, 2005
  7. MACD

MACD

Fletch, please keep on posting -- I really appreciate your insightful approach and would love to continue reading -- especially now that "Dow whatever" has REALLY kindly went to his yatch and sailed away...

#57     Dec 22, 2005
  8. Shazbatz

Shazbatz

Fletch

Just keep doing what your doing. You have a good head on your shoulders and you are thinking in probablities. Listen to no one but your equity curve. It speaks the truth :)

Sometimes you have think outside the box.

#58     Dec 23, 2005
  9. the best traders I have known here in Chicago do NOT have Ph.D.s. or even graduate degrees. A close friend of mine from the MERC back in the 80s graduated from Mather H.S. in Chicago- while another graduated University of Illinois. One made close to 50M -- and the other easily accumulated >10M over his years trading on the CME. This I know to be true. A few others I know -- who were excellent traders --- had reasonably humble educational backgrounds.

Frankly my 2c is--- all this analysis is merely "analysis paralysis" -you can spend all year analyzing how to hit a baseball or a golf ball- but in the final "analysis" you have to go out and perform in the REAL world - not in the classroom or on a chalkboard.

But I am enjoying reading how fletch2 is analyzing all of this like he's preparing a Ph.D. paper.

I wonder if Doyle Brunson ever did all that jazz before he started playing many years ago--- or Soros or Cohen or Jones or Sekoyta or Marty Schwartz or Steinhardt or Dennis etc. etc. ?

Perhaps...

bonne chance Fletch2

Ice
    :cool:

#59     Dec 23, 2005
  10. fletch2

fletch2

Perhaps. Looks like Seykota has thought a bit about it:

http://www.seykota.com/tribe/risk/

William Eckhardt was a mathematics PhD student.

Barry Greenstein, arguably the most profitable poker player ever, was a computer science PhD student. There are tons of guys like him: Chris "Jesus" Ferguson - PhD Computer Science, Andy Bloch from MIT, there's a long list of overeducated poker pros.

Of course, I never said anyone needed a PhD in anything to be a winning trader nor a winning poker player, and I never presented my degree as evidence of anything. I simply answered the question that I was asked directly.

I suspect trading is like poker: there are the scientists and there are the gut players. Both have achieved the upper echelons of performance. There's no right way to win. Only the best way for an individual to achieve his best performance.

I'm a scientist, and I make no apologies for it. I also don't take anything away from "gut" players who find their own way to win.

I really want to end the "XXX people do/don't make good traders" squabbles now. That isn't what this thread is about.

Cheers,
    Fletch

#60     Dec 23, 2005