Pointdirex or IB

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by nasdaqmadness, Apr 10, 2002.

1. My 2 cents. I've been using PD level I for mostly swing and some day trades. I'd looked at IB but the interface was not user friendly. PD's is as intuitive as can be and very very fast. Fills have been excellent. Phone help doesn't get any better. The only draw back is that the charts (1' to 10') are useless due to scale, plus the volume on the charts does not show numbers. Thats no big for me as I have Lycos charts open in a separate window. Don't know anything about the other platforms.

#11     Apr 11, 2002
  2. Babak

Babak

Their fees are VERY competitive :http://www.pointdirex.com/live/en/ns/html/feeschedule.htm

Would have to agree on IB not being very user friendly. But if the PD charts are useless....why not combine with RealTick and only use it for execution?

I'm seriously thinking of moving from IB due to consistent and unremedied problems they are having.

#12     Apr 11, 2002
  3. If I decide to use PD I will use the Platinum system. I currently use 2 monitors and I am told that the Platinum is the only one that supports this. I would be open to using another charting service if the cost was not over $100. per month. I have looked at the charts on the PD simulator and they ..."have room for improvement"

Mike

#13     Apr 11, 2002
  4. On Point Direx,

Why is platinum commissions less than the other platform(s)?

Are there other fees for platinum?

Are other services offered on the other platform(s)?

I am puzzled why a broker would have split commission schedule not related to volume.

#14     Apr 11, 2002

5. THis is exactly what I do now. I have two boxes and 4 monitors. I have Realtick spread over 3 on one PC and Direx Platinum on one monitor/PC. Yes you can stretch Platinum over multi monitors but if you do not use it for analytics, you really don't need to. Execution off of multiple level 2's can be easily done with one monitor.

The commission structures are the same for Platinum and Pro. Pro is the older fixed DAT platform designed very similar to Watcher. Platinum is much more flexible and customizable. Its most recent version has been flawless from a reliability perspective.

THe other commission structure is for Level one and is an all inclusive (like IB) structure.....1.2 cents total no pass thrus. I have traded live capital on it and as one other poster stated it is blazing fast when taking offers and hitting bids. Moreover, when you try to buy at the bid or between the spread (there is no order routing as it is all handled by their propietary DORS system) you will often get filled if conditions make it possible.

IN other words on traditional level one platforms, your order to buy cannont execute until the offer price is equal to or lower than your price. WIth DORS, your bid will be posted on an ECN and have a chance to get filled. IN fact, you can watch the level one quote update to reflect your better bid if you bid higher than the bid but lower than the offer (with a spread greater than one cent).

#15     Apr 11, 2002