Point me in the right direction

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by osubeavs, Jan 18, 2006.

1. osubeavs

osubeavs

I seem to be addicted to ET because I waste way too much time on this forum but I’ve gained a lot of knowledge so I guess it hasn't been for nothing. I've read many threads on career advice but I’m not currently looking for a career but more a mentor/internship to help me decide what direction I want to take my life.

I'm currently twenty-one years old studying finance at Oregon State University, which isn't an Ivy League school by any means and it’s in Oregon which isn't helping anything. I've tried to absorb as much info as I can in terms of trading and investing but know I’ve barely scratched the surface. I soot out an internship as Smith Barney during the past summer. The internship was very educational and I meet a lot of contacts but found the work there to be not what I’m looking for in a future career. Doing 401k analysis and learning basic operations were educational but really isn’t something I see myself doing as a career.

I'm interested in trying to get a glimpse into a more active trading environment, something the Smith Barney internship was lacking. Now whether that’s a prop firm or something completely different I’m really not sure. That’s where I’m looking for some advice. I know Oregon and Washington really don't have anything along those lines (correct me if I’m wrong). I would be able to travel throughout the country if an opportunity was available. I would be looking for a mentor/internship for this coming summer.
    Any advice on where to try to get my foot in the door would be great. I know the question could have lots of answers but anything will help me

Thanks, Tim

2. How much experience investing/trading on your own do you have?

3. BSAM

BSAM

Point you in the right direction? Okay.....Finish your degree. First things first. Don't get ahead of yourself.

4. I had my internship with Paine Weber in 1995. Those dip shits were a big reason why I stared trading.

No one in that office knew why the market was down 100 Points and reversed to close up 50.

My goal was to explain market action when someone asked me.

Now I can...and do not need to sell CD's or Bonds to 76 yr old grannies.

Hint: study volume and wyckoff. price and volume will hold your treasure map.

Trade Well

5. osubeavs

osubeavs

I've traded stocks and options with Ameritrade but nothing more then that. Being in college has limited the amount of money/time i can spend trading.

6. osubeavs

osubeavs

I totally understand but want to get an idea of whats out there before i get shoved into it when i graduate.

7. DBN2005

DBN2005

After college, you may want to look at traditional investment firms just to get some market experience...i.e., mutual fund companies (west coast cities: LA, San fran, Phoenix), Traditional bank trust investments depts. (all over the country) or hedge funds (San Fran big on the west coast)...if you want to just get a better feel of all the different investment/analyst/programmer/trading/portfolio manager jobs are available and the kind of qualifications they are looking for try and get access to a bloomberg terminal and type in jobs.

9. jsmooth

jsmooth

The EXACT same thing happened too me while back in College....the finance department hooked me up with an paid internship with UBS....and i use to dread going into work. Moving Bonds in and out of 60 year old clients IRA's and retirement accounts was the highlight of each workday.....and no one in the office really cared (or even had an idea) about the daily market action....on days i didnt have too work i would sit in my dorm room for 7 hours trading 100 share lots with my little Scottrade account, and i actually learned far more trading than while at work at UBS.

After that internship i really got the impression that most undergrad finance degrees dont gear the students for trading, but more or less corp finance and investment banking, so you really gotta take it upon yourself to pursue trading if thats what you want too do. All in all, i eventually switched out of finance for my under grad major and found work in the music industry in the afternoons and evenings to fund my trading. best of luck too you.

10. PM me if you are really really serious about that summer thing . . . . I know a guy that can really show you the ropes.

I feel bad about posting his info though . . . It may get back to me.

PM for his contact info though . . . .Great mentor as far as this business goes. . LOL

#10     Jan 19, 2006