Point Direx

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by richk, May 8, 2002.

1. hans130

hans130

Platinum and 4.2 both have hot keys and the new release of Level II will have hot keys, but Level I does not have hot keys.

Hans

#11     May 8, 2002
  2. mccoyml

mccoyml

It is my understanding that Win 98 will not work with Platnium or Pro versions. Bummer. I have Win 98 on the machine (a laptop) I wanted to run the execution software on and it cannot be upgraded. The trial of IB seemed to run fine on that machine. My Win 2000 machine will run my RealTick. Now what??

#12     May 8, 2002
  3. Just completed the first week trading through Point Direx.
    I am using the Level-I platform.
    NAZ stocks = $0.012 per share commission - $1.20minimum
    NYSE stocks = $0.015 per share commission - $1.50minimum
    No ECN fees. No hidden fees.
    Platform with quotes blah blah is $14.99/mo. which they rebate after 10,000 shares traded/month.

I trade only a couple-few hundred shares at a clip so the 20cents extra commission per hundred shares vs. IB isn't a big factor for me. I suppose if you're trading big volume this would have to be weighed.

Execution during regular market hours was excellent. As soon as I clicked submit my order hit the screen and turned green-filled.
    When you enter a symbol and click it in the quote data area includes a box with the amount of available inventory for shortselling (which came in very handy for me this week :D ).
    Very few symbols entered were unavailable. Cheap stocks seem less available. ADSX was unavailable to short for instance.

During premarket and aftermarket however I was never able to get an order filled. They require a limit order in Extended hours (like most brokers do) but I'd watch the price march right through my limit orders each morning and night. I really just wanted to test it out as I don't trade AH unless it's connected to a 4:01PM earnings report or something.

Data flowed in on pace with my NexTrend data so unless they are both bad the quotes seemed to come in smoothly. I have never ever been disconnected from PointDirex which includes 3 weeks of testing them out using the free simulator as well as the real platform. Rock solid connection.

The chart blows in my opinion but I don't really care since I use NexTrend for charting anyway. I leave the PointDirex chart at 1 minute bars to nab that extra penny or 2 as I'm pulling the trigger is all.

The account data both on the trade platform and the online account area had some issues for me. Apparently something was missentered on day one by them and for the rest of the week my account had trades listed which I didn't make and therefore the balances were never correct.
    Thats said, the CSRs there were expediant, courteous and straightened the problems out for me via email and phone calls.
    I was treated with respect as a customer and not as an annoyance to their day. All was resolved and their figures now match my own trade log. I have a very small account so it's not like they were kissing my butt over a million dollar account either.

After I have a little more experience with them I'll post over in the Broker review section. After only 1 week I don't want to jump the gun just yet. If this was a couple months into it though I'd be posting a very good review overall for Point Direx.

#13     May 17, 2002
  4. H2O

H2O

DAT,

Sorry to reply so late but I didn't check this forum since I decided to go for TradeStation.

I did start trading futures about 5 years agoo using TWS with PMB so once I switched to IB I was already used to their software.

What I was looking for was a complete product with integrated order entry from the level II, charts and scanning.

I think I found it with TS who charges me the same software fees and 1.2 ct / share.

When I'd start with PD, DORS would have been much more (as well as most other fees. Only ISLD would be cheaper when it comes to the point.

I also like to option to create your own workspaces in TS more than in PD

Greetings and success.

#14     May 17, 2002
  5. mike s

mike s

[
    After I have a little more experience with them I'll post over in the Broker review section. After only 1 week I don't want to jump the gun just yet. If this was a couple months into it though I'd be posting a very good review overall for Point Direx. [/B][/QUOTE]

Well, since you put it that way I'll go ahead and chime in now.:)

I just finished my first week with PD too. I'm using the Platinum.
    It's very fast and smooth on executions. It was fairly easy to get the hang of the basics on the software.

After being with a ticket-charge broker for almost 2 years I was really glad to see this kind of system being offered on a competitively priced per-share basis.

This is sooo much easier for me to be profitable.

Very good service on the phone both before and after opening an account.

I use it with RT charts and the PD is just for executions.

I usually trade the same few naz stocks and shorting isn't a problem but I've noticed that a couple of thinly traded news stocks weren't available for shorting.

I'm going to give it more time before posting a broker rating too but so far it's great and trading just became much more fun.

#15     May 17, 2002
  6. You run PD software on your win2k machine. Duh...

#16     May 18, 2002
  7. xstek

xstek

NiteRider and Mike S, just finished My first week with PD. So far executions good, L2 went down I think it was Tues A.M. for a few minutes, so far O.K. But have you had any problems with your statements on DirexNet. I have had the following.

1. No account Balance in the A.M.
    2. No confirmed trades in A.M. from the day before
    3. incorrect P&L #s
    4. incorrect commission charges

I am not Flaming P.D. Spoke to them and they assured me that they will straighten it out. I am a little fanatical about checking blotter and statement every A.M. and P.M. if possible. But I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem.

xstek

#17     May 24, 2002
  8. mike s

mike s

I usually look at the Account Detail window in the morning for my buying power/balance. I kind of round off my daily P/L at the eod and it's always worked for me and matched their numbers.

But...in this game of pennies I really should pay closer attention. Your post got my curiosity up so I looked at the confirms a little closer and it looks like they may have an occassional problem with partial charges. I found a couple out of hundreds of trades. They were very helpful on the phone and are taking care of the situation.

Yep, a few minutes of feed problems on the morning of 5/21. It went away fairly quickly. Always a drag but seemingly inevitable in this game from time to time.

Keep us posted....

#18     May 24, 2002
  9. The direx platinum is the only one that will support multi monitors. I am also thinking about moving to PD and have spent hours on the phone with them. Just wish they had on line options and better charts. PD seems to be in a constant state of improvement so I know it wont be long before they convince me that they have every thing I want.

#19     May 24, 2002
  10. richk

richk

Thank you, I am trying simulator of Platinum and it is looking best for multimonitor, it is a pity that I cannot undock level II windows from main application.

If you are using PD, please keep posting about their service.:)

#20     May 25, 2002