point and figure

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by subq, May 18, 2007.

1. subq

subq

I am looking for good point and figure software, preferably something that will read real time IQfeed data stream (since I am looking at futures and forex data).

I am not interested in some funky point and figure indicator or bar that some software uses instead of real point and figure charting. I am interested in features though like 45 degree trendlines, box counts on columns, projected prices, reversal boxes, patterns, etc etc...

Even a real good excel template could possibly work (providing that it could pull data from iqfeed). I am thinking excel couldn't handle streaming tick data though (on the ES for example).

2. jtnet

jtnet

who even knows how to use a point and figure chart? lol

3. tiddlywinks

tiddlywinks

Do a web search for "point and figure software". There are several programs out there, but all are limited. For instance, most will not work with intraday data, and/or have extremely limited if any, feed compatibility. If you want to use PnF for EOD, with ascii data there are several good programs.

I went through this same exercise a while ago.

Good luck

4. I use a P&F chart on Tradestation for the ER2. I don't know if it offers all the bells & whistles you're looking for, but it draws the X and 0 columns accurately. I just use a few EMAs on it.

To the other responder to this thread, if you've never looked at how to use a P&F chart, you have no idea what you're missing. There's no other chart that so clearly shows S/R levels and reversals.

5. subq

subq

jtnet, I don't really care that most people don't know how to use them, what counts is that I know how to use them :)

tiddlywinks, yeah I've been looking and most of what I have seen isn't great...mostly all designed for eod...lost art (at least applied to streaming tick data).

6. poboy

poboy

Quotetracker provides intraday point and figure charting with the features (45 degree trendline, etc.) you mentioned.

In fact I canceled my QCharts subscription since I made the switch to PnF to trade the crude market.