podcasts/video podcasts

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by pittytrader, May 14, 2009.

1. Ok, so this is totally my personal opinion and your idea of what a good podcast is and mine will obviously be different. What I looked for in this journey was the format of the show, the production quality, and quality of the information. I also noted some things such as length, ease to find, etc. So with out further delay here is a list of Podcasts available on iTunes (FREE), produced by a non-commercial company, and the latest episode is no more than 30-60 days old (if older, most likely dead). I started with the worst:

The chart Whisperer 1/10
    Pros: The pain was over quickly because I turned it off
    Cons: It is a technical analysis podcast with NO video! It was almost impossible to follow what he was talking about. It was also really boring.

Trading Tips - Manny Backus 3/10
    Pros: None
    Cons: felt like the same old technical analysis everyone performs. It was boring and I did not make it through a full episode. Production quality was decent.

Teach Talk Trade S&P Futures 4/10
    Pros: A show mainly geared towards trading futures.
    Cons: It was really short and I once again did not feel like I learned a whole lot from watching this show. It kind of felt like it was cookie cutter analysis of charts.

The Watchdog on Wall Street 5/10 (only cuz I disliked the talk radio format, but you may like)
    Pros: The information was interesting and if you like talk radio shows, you will probably like this.
    Cons: says it is video, but it is not. If it was a different format I probably would like it.

The Stock Bandit 5/10
    Pros: this is were production value started to get a bit better. He is on twitter so his rep is easy to gauge by follow/follower ratio (@thestockbandit). Pretty nice site
    Cons: This was the most probably the most basic technical analysis out of all the shows. I did not feel like I had learned a whole lot when it was over. I always like to hear what other traders think and thats why I gave it an average rating, just nothing new.

Craig's Anatomy 8/10
    Pros: Finally a unique format. He looks at the anatomy of his good and bad trades, which is brilliant. Has better production value, overlays charts, music, etc. Very nice job. I also think they are on twitter (@tickerville). Was really easy to find on iTunes. Fast & to the point!
    Cons: his humor is kind of cheezy, but that is it.

The DL's Jam Session 8/10
    Pros: This is the second podcast from @hedgieguy (who has an awesome ratio on twitter) and @ KB_FIN_RSTAR. Very high production value as it is in 1080p & audio is great. Format is killer as they talk about the top market moving stories voted on by the subscribers/visitors of his website and drink beer (extension of his happy hour format).
    Cons: Very general information for an advanced trader. It is intended to be that way so it is not a trading oriented show, but really good and fun!

The mind of a trader 8.5/10
    Pros: Will put you into hypnosis! I could totally load this onto my iPhone throw on some head phones and just lay there listening to this for hours in a trance. This show is all about the psychology of trading so it gets really high marks for format.
    Cons: audio only. would be cool if he set the show to some slide show type images, but this is being picky.

Finz.tv 9/10
    Pros: Awesome wide range of formats, really great website, and a very good twitter rep (@traderalamo). Very high production value! There is just so many different things they do it is really something to take notice of. The thing that the top two shows had in common is these guys have really great twitter reps, they are young, and the formats/variety are killer. They package it all up with really nice websites and information.
    Cons: couldnt really find any without splitting hairs.

The DL's Happy Hour 9/10
    Pros: Awesome format, awesome information, awesome twitter rep (@hedgieguy). This is a show he hosts with his friend that works at a big 4 accounting firm and it is killer. Each show is sponsored by a brewery where they feature 3 different beers. Now the really cool thing is if your around from 6:30-8pm EST you can join the show live on dimdim and participate in the show! He does the show on the TOS platform charting stuff, even showing how to execute the trades. This was my favorite of the bunch just because the format is killer.
    Cons: a bit long (90 mins), and audio is decent, cracking/poping but I read on twitter they got new mics.

Notables: there are some shows that I did not include but should be mentioned. They were not included because they were not on iTunes, not free, etc.

Brian Shannon's videos (Alphatrends) 7/10
    This is not even a podcast and I am not sure if they are free anymore since he sold out to stocktwits (@alphatrends). He does very nice technical analysis. The format is what you expect, but the information is what makes it.

Tim Syke's Live Stock 3/10
    I had to give it a 3 because it is all about penny stocks, which I do not trade. Production value is high as he shoots this on a green screen of some sort & I did like that he had the chat box on the side like the Happy Hour show I loved so much, and he interacts with the audience like Happy Hr. If you are a penny stocker, you may like it.

Emini addicts trade room 6/10 (not free)
    He had a free code for this a while back so I am doing this from memory. It is not "free" and it is hosted on gotomeeting, which I think kind of sucks. There is no video feed of the presenter so at times when they are just talking all u can do is stare at a chart. The information is great because it is all about trading emini futures. Audio and video good, too bad not free. I also think it has a chat bar, which I think is really cool thing to have when your on the show.

Tickerville's lunch show n/a
    I just saw today that they do a show (@tickerville) on gotomeeting which I hate, but it was already over when I learned about it. I am going to try and catch it tomorrow if its on. I will add a reply to this post with a review of that and I plan on expanding my search. I had limited time today but I hope this point you in the right direction.

When you find these shows on iTunes, subscribe to them and vote kindly for them. These guys put their time & energy into the shows and for the most part (the higher ones have small sponsorships) they do this for nothing. I think some of these guys are doing amazing things and it would not surprise me if they blow up. I just hope they do not sell out because thats what makes these podcasts so cool. I must say, I had no idea there is such great podcasts on iTunes, but I am a fan! I will try to add some more reviews this weekend or early next week.

#11     May 14, 2009
  2. definate thumbs down on Craigs humour......

#12     May 15, 2009
  3. yeah, his sense of humor stinks! I think the format is novel and pretty cool though. Plus it is 5 minutes and I can last through that.

#13     May 17, 2009