Plugging new CPU and MoBo, need to re-install Win7?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bolimomo, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Hey guys...

I am trying to use TS 9.1 (still in beta) to get multi-core support. It works nicely. But they have stability problems. Between the reboots, the TS software could have problems reading the same workspace (charts). I am thinking of downgrading to the 9.0 version which, it seems, is more stable. But 9.0 does not have multicore support. So...

I am think of buying an i7-2600K chip. Then I would need a new MoBo as the sockets (I am currently using i7-930) are different.

My question is: if I get an i7-2600K chip and a new MoBo, do I need to re-install Windows 7 from scratch? I am thinking that may be required because of some microcodes or the drivers for the different motherboards? Is it possible to plug in the CPU and MoBo and hook up the existing SSD that it will magically work without Win7 install?

2. kauflaune

kauflaune

Your SSD needs the same BIOS setting that it had before. If it was AHCI and you change this, it will no longer boot. I'd say just try and see what happens. There's also migration software to avoid re-install when upgrading like Paragon Drive Copy.

3. "redeploy" included with many of the current backup programs. you might want to check the norton or acronis forums on how good a job it really does.

4. Highly unlikely. The BIOS plays a role in formatting the drive. New mobo = new BIOS = new format required, probably.

I say go ahead and try... worst that can happen is nothing works.. and you're probably in for a fresh OS install, regardless.

I've read where sometimes one can put an old data drive into a new computer and have it work... something like a convoluted work-around. Maybe you can search the net and find it.. ??

One thing that DOES work, however... having more than 1 of the same computer with same mobo and same BIOS. My T3400s are like that. I can swap HDD/SDD at will with no problmem.

5. Thanks for your replies kauflaune, imabadboy, Scataphagos. That is kind of what I thought. I think I would re-install Win7 (that's the easy part... the time-consuming part is re-installing all the apps and reconfiguring everything)... it would be cleaner going forward.

6. I have no problems with 9.1 either on a win 7 machine at work or on a XP machine at home. I have the multi core option enabled.

7. I believe that method 2 in the attached paper works just as well with win 7 and 8 as it did with xp. Clean and simple, basically windows comes up, not knowing its disk environment and does the logical thing ... regenerates it :)

I would image my drive before I did it. The aforementioned programs are good as is Macrium Reflect which is also free.

8. If you pre-install the drivers for the new motherboard (or use same brand/chipset) it should work. I swap OS'es between dell machines all the time - like a T7400 to a T7500 (different chipsets on mobo and different CPUs) and it works, just requires a few restarts.

That said, your OS will probably ask you to re-activate.

Do you have enough space to create a separate partition and dual-boot your system? (one for each chipset?)

9. GTS

GTS

Based on anecdotal evidence I think you have pretty good odds that it will work without an OS re-install. After your bring it up on the new motherboard, you will need to install any motherboard specific drivers that Win7 doesn't have.

Can't hurt to try - worst case you have to do a clean install. Just make sure you have a complete backup first.

10. Thanks for the additional comments, jficquette, kiwi_trader, WinstonTJ, GTS.

I think Winston's suggestion is great. I didn't think of that. I can pre-load the drivers for the new motherboard before I unplug the disk drive from the old motherboard.

Currently I am using an ASUS MoBo for the i7-930 processor. On the i7-2600K, I am thinking of a MSI board. So most likely the drivers will be different.

As for creating a new partition to dual boot... sure disk space is not a problem. The purpose of my exercise, though, is to save time in re-installing Win7 + all trading apps. Once I jump to 2600K, it is unlikely I would hook up the old MoBo back so I would really have no need for dual boot.

It's true... just try and see what happens...

On the TS 9.1 front... well over the weekend... I had confirmed that I got quite a few workspaces that I could no longer read. Reason unknown. They were created in 9.1. 2600K is about 50% faster than 930. But with going back to 9.0 for stability but non-multicore support, I may just get a wash. With 930, my CPU usage is often above 13-15% - which is the ceiling under the single core. TS app can't go any faster. I often experienced frozen chart. Since I used 9.1, multicore support, no more frozen chart. Since the past few weeks I had added a few more things, which constantly drives the usage to about 20-25% with spike at 40%+, under the i7-930 processor. So if I go back to TS 9.0 with single core, the i7-2600K processor may just be pushing the border line.

For the time being, I am staying with the TS 9.1 beta and hope TS would improve the stability issue. I had re-created all the workspaces in use. Hopefully I would not run into the "non-readable" workspace issue again. If I do again with these newly created workspace, then I must unplug 9.1.

#10     Apr 2, 2012