"Plug the damn hole," Obama told them.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Went Fishing, May 26, 2010.

1. No...it's not. The biggest spill known to date was the Rumala Oil field And there have been countless others. For what Bush the stupider spent on the Abortion known as "Operation Whack Saddam and Deplete US National Resources," we could have deployed all kinds of energy efficient technology. Why we don't learn from our mistakes and do it now is a mystery.

#11     May 26, 2010
  2. I meant in the US. Interesting write up on the Mexican spill. Very similar to what happened here, ie loss of control over the well, followed by gas engulfing the rig and blowing up.

I don't see how PEMEX escaped liability through sovereign immunity. There is a recognized commercial exception to sovereign immunity. Have to research that one.

I agree with you that both the US government and BP should have been better prepared.

#12     May 26, 2010
  3. Those deepwater rigs cost about a billion to a billion and a half to dollars to build.

Small companies don't have the money to do this.

John

#13     May 26, 2010
  4. Barry could have gotten us out but refuses too. It's his problem now.

Besides the tree huggers wouldn't let us build Nuclear plants which is the only real alternative now.

#14     May 26, 2010
  5. Just wait until the oil washes up on the eastern seaboard.

I can already see the election ads now.

Oil washing up and a cut screen to barry on vacation smoking a newport 100 with a colt 45 in his hand listening to ludacris on a oversized pair of headphones.

#15     May 26, 2010
  6. JWS11

JWS11

Finally: Something Honest From Carville

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/P693DaOeQL8&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_detailpage&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/P693DaOeQL8&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_detailpage&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

:D

#16     May 26, 2010
  7. I hope no one accidentally speed dialed Larry Sinclair to say........."Plug the damn hole!" :eek:

#17     May 26, 2010
  8. Don't they have insurance for this sort of thing? Haven't heard mention of it. Wait till the Gulf Stream gets hold of it.

#18     May 27, 2010
  9. The tragedy is worse than people can imagine.

What will change?

Nothing.

I wonder what it will take...

If only we as a society and country would react to preventable situations like this with the cohesion and outrage Americans felt following 9/11...

#19     May 27, 2010
  10. I have been amazed at the relative lack of reaction to what is likely a near biblical level catastrophe. Its like we are collectively so far gone in our addiction to oil that it has taken over a month for the fog begin to clear, and people to begin asking 'what have we wrought?'.

What will it take? Good question. Maybe soon the level of outrage will equal or exceed that expressed when gasoline prices rise.

#20     May 27, 2010