Plug a Switch into a Switch

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cre8UrF8, Feb 10, 2006.

1. I have a router and a switch together in a room, the switch connects to a patch cable witch connects the wall ports in others rooms. In another room I have only one port, but I want to get several connections in this room. Can I connect a cheap 4 port switch to this one port wall jach and then connect 4 computers in this room? Basically it would be kind of "daisy chaining" switches. Can this be done, and what are the problems with this if it can be done?

2. Run your 4 or 8 port switch out of that room..A single Ethernet line from your router may be all that is needed instead of two switches.

3. I need to keep the setup like it is in the orginal room. I need the switch in there to connect to the patch panel which connects all the ports in the walls of different rooms. I don't want to run new cables through walls, that is too much work and trouble, I want to use the existing "in wall" cableing. I want to expand a one port jack without having to run more cableing. I s this possible and what are the problems with it, slower speed?

4. Yes, you can daisy-chain switches. I like the little Linksys 4 port switch. It does the job well.