Plotting EMA in Ninja vs. Tradestation

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by jmacqua536, May 30, 2008.

1. I am trading ES06-08 futures and have set an exponential moving average on Ninja as follows: Period=4 ,Price type=close, Auto Scale=True, Calculate on Bar close=False, Displacement=0, Display Data Box = True.

I also have it set on Tradestation at Price (H+L)/2, Length 4.

I thought they should be the same, but they are plotting a little bit differently and around my trade entry signals and I am getting entry signals on Ninja (that are not entry signals on T.S.) that are causing me to enter bad trades. Anyone have any advice? Thx

2. NinjaTrader_Ray

NinjaTrader_Ray ET Sponsor

In NinjaTrader, set the price type to "Median" which is (H+L) / 2. Keep in mind, there may also be differences if the underlying data is different between TS and NinjaTrader.

You can get support from NinjaTrader directly on our support forum.

http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/vb/index.php

3. Ray- that was very helpful and seemed to have solved my problem. My other question is as follows:

I am currently using NT with Mirus-ZenFire feed. I am comparing my ES-06-08 150 tick charts with the same EMA and it seems that my feed is usually one bar behind the same chart with Tradestation/Infinity broker feed chart. I would like to stick with NT but want to make sure I am getting the most accurate up to date tick feed. Any thoughts? Thx.

4. NinjaTrader_Ray

NinjaTrader_Ray ET Sponsor

I suspect you have the EMA "Calculate on bar close" property set to true, please set this to false and it will calculate on each incoming tick vs close of the bar.