Pledge of Allegiance unconstitutional

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Gordon Gekko, Jun 26, 2002.

1. "Through the reading of popular scientific books I soon reached the conviction that much in the stories of the Bible could not be true. The consequence was a positively fanatic [orgy of] freethinking coupled with the impression that youth is intentionally being deceived...Suspicion against every kind of authority grew out of this experience, a skeptical attitude...hich has never left me..."

"From the viewpoint of a Jesuit priest I am, of course, and have always been an atheist.... I have repeatedly said that in my opinion the idea of a personal God is a childlike one. You may call me an agnostic, but I do not share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist whose fervor is mostly due to a painful act of liberation from the fetters of religious indoctrination received in youth. I prefer an attitude of humility corresponding to the weakness of our intellectual understanding of nature and of our being."

"I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings"

~Albert Einstein

http://www.skeptic.com/archives50.html

#51     Oct 15, 2003
  2. einstein is THE MAN.

as i read that, i thought, "YES!" that is exactly how i am. once you see that so much bs stems from other bs, you begin to question all kinds of things!

great quote, thank you.

#52     Oct 15, 2003
  3. your post is a bunch of crap, sorry.

#53     Oct 15, 2003
  4. ElCubano

ElCubano

you are no where near an Einstein.....Maybe Epstein, from Weclome Back "Carterrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" is more down ur alley......

#54     Oct 15, 2003

5. :p :p ......your giving your age away....

I have to ask this: Doesn't our Supreme court have better things to decide??? I mean, wasting tax payers money to decide this??? who really cares and is anyone being harmed? " under God" or in God we trust on money .....if it's removed , will we save anything from destruction? How much $$ will it cost to replace all the money??? don't understand this obsession with removing 'under God" form the pledge....There must be another agenda.....can't we just leave it up to the individual to decide whether they ant to say it or not?

#55     Oct 15, 2003
  6. DHOHHI

DHOHHI

What's this "if in our constitution" crap? Does the constitution claim the world is flat?

And as far as the latter point about "religious bias" and getting it out of public schools .... I don't think any halfway intelligent person would think the Pledge of Allegiance is "religious bias". Biased towards whom? Baptists? Lutherans? Catholics? Presbyterians? Episcopalians?

#56     Oct 15, 2003
  7. DHOHHI

DHOHHI

And in your lifetime you're also gonna be a successful trader? Right? LOL

#57     Oct 15, 2003
  8. Essential facts surrounding the case before the court.

The pledge was adopted in 1942, with no reference to GOd.

Fedral Statute passed in 1954 (during the McCarthy Era) added the words, "One Nation Under God".

California State law, its Educational Code requires that public schools begin each day with "appropriate patriotic exercises" and that the pledge satisfys this requirement.

The school district in which this case was originally filed, had a policy that " Each elementary class recite the pledge of allegiance to the flag every day"

The 9th circuit court found that this requirement violated the establishment clause of the first amendment.

http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/ca9/newopinions.nsf/FE05EEE79C2A97B688256BE3007FEE32/$file/0016423.pdf?openelement

#58     Oct 15, 2003
  9. Still trying to figure out how this will effect a child's life one way or another????? Seems to me like you have a bunch of lawyers looking for exposure..Im just wondering how well the kids in these schools can read or write...I mean isn't that the real goal?

#59     Oct 15, 2003
  10. " How much $$ will it cost to replace all the money??? "

Funny how no one complained when it cost $$$ to originally
    put it ON money :D

Gee what a waste of money.
    Doesnt the government have BETTER things to do? :D

This is a slap in the face to all american citizens who
    are not god believers. It should go.

Theists are being hypocritical here.

They would scream bloody murder if our money said
    something like "In NO god we trust", or "In SATAN we trust",
    or "In Buddah we trust", and so on...