Please support BOX and IB and kick CBOE's ass

Discussion in 'Options' started by NoMoreOptions, Sep 9, 2003.

1. def

def Sponsor

trajan, you bring up some interesting points (some of which I even may agree with :)) but I've been too busy (look at a HK chart today) to take any time to respond. there is some truth in what you say about the pick off guys but we've made a nice living honoring our quotes and providing liquidity. Every now and then you'll get picked off and yes that sucks. However, the vast majority of orders are not pick-offs. It is just someone, firm or institution that has a different vol, position, viewpoint etc. The BOX is a move towards how options trades in all major global markets ex-US and while it is not a perfect model, I think it's an improvement over what currently exists in the US.

One last thing on cancel fees: Do you really believe the CBOE installed a cancellation fee due to infrastructure costs?

#31     Sep 24, 2003
  2. sle

sle

As a ex-quant and a quant trader, i would like to develop this issue a bit. If you are worried about automated market-making - autmated market making for options is really faar away. Electronic exchage trading will benefit quant finance methods but for a number of different reasons.

#32     Sep 26, 2003
  3. def

def Sponsor

Do you really mean that automated market making for options is really far away? If so, you are incorrect. It's been around for years. The degree of automation depends on the exchange platforms but all you need to do is look at ISE, Eurex, and most markets outside the US to see the possibilities.

#33     Sep 26, 2003
  4. Trajan

Trajan

My view is that spreads are going to be shrinking which leaves me less of a margin for error. I have never been happy with any of the shelf models I've used over the years. None seemed to accurately reflect real markets, a example would be the skew. As of right now, nearly all of my positions are put on for some sort of theoretical edge. As the spread tightens, as is expected on the box, I need to capture what's there, hence find a better model whether my own or somebody else's(I still need to be able to evaluate). I would be perfectly comfortable plugging my numbers into in a program and letting it do my work.

The thing is, I would bet a lot of other people out there who would never go onto a floor to trade are thinking along these similar lines. As exchanges have been moving towards more of the European model, barriers to entry are fading. There have been automated trading programs sending orders from off floor, as in the late 90's Raes bandits. They solved that problem by preventing electronic orders from being placed. This type of stuff will return and be worse with the rules on the BOX. It will be more or less a free for all. When a lot of the markets are efficient 99% of the time, you need to be able to recognize when they aren't and pounce. It won't be dissimilar to the Raes bandits, except this time, theoretical edge will be the gravy.

To sum it up, I think you'll not only need to program, but also have good quantatative skills as well. I could make a ten cent wide market in liquid options now, but there will be less room for error when the spread is only a penny or two. It would be impossible to make a 2 sided market with spread, but I would still need to be somewhere so as to at least get some scraps.

#34     Sep 26, 2003
  5. sle

sle

Right, that's the key phrase. I totally agree that some automation is here and hopefully here to stay, but it still relies on some human judgement, otherwise the exchanges would be taking on risk that would never be covered by the potential gains from MM-ing. The floor trading should go away soon, I hope. In any case, OTC markets is where real interesting stuff is happening.

As for liquid markets - new kinds of inefficiencies will appear, a lot of stuff that used to be adsorbed by judgement of the floor traders will now go outside the BOX :)

#35     Sep 26, 2003
  6. sle

sle

Err, for the skew models look at some stochastic parametrisations, like SABR model. It is quite neat and predicts the smile dynamics rather well. I can send you some VBA code + spreadsheet

#36     Sep 26, 2003
  7. ===
    Vega;
    Hope next time you see Bill Brodsky you share some of our honorable quotes concerning honoring quotes.:D

Actually during the last 20 & ''more '' days CBOE has been'' honoring many quotes'' on index options with good fills-limit & market orders;
    with some notable exceptions perhaps on cheap puts.

#37     Sep 30, 2003
  8. vega

vega

I'm sure he'd love to hear what we have to say !!!!!

Vega:D

#38     Sep 30, 2003
  9. TJ.

TJ.

Searching
    I am currently using IB for call/put options. Are they about the best at this time, or is there someone else I have not heard of?

THANKS

#39     Oct 17, 2003