Please Save Britain's Radio 4 Theme!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Beach Runner, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Hopefully, this will be of interest to traders who listen to Radio 4 on Britain's BBC radio:

Radio 4 is intending to scrap its morning theme tune that goes out at 5.30 AM each morning.

If there are any traders out there who trade the London markets, and find this music of great comfort to listen to at the start of the day - and don't want it given the chop - could you please sign the petition to keep it at:

www.savetheradio4theme.co.uk

You can also listen to the music on a page at this site. And since the announcement (which I think was only yesterday) they have had over 3000 signitures.

Radio 4 also has a Message Board on the subject which is getting lots of comments:

www.bbc.co.uk

I've posted this plea also on another traders forum. Hopefully between these two great sites that span the Atlantic our signitures may make a difference. Thanks for reading, and here's some extra info from the BBC:

"...played daily for 33 years at 0530, the five-minute medley of English, Welsh, Scottish and Irish tunes will be replaced by a news bulletin.

One listener, writing on the station's internet messageboard, claimed to have burst into tears upon hearing the news.

Radio 4 controller Mark Damazer had predicted a protest but believed its replacement would suit the audience.

The theme includes Danny Boy, What Shall We Do With The Drunken Sailor?, Scotland the Brave, Rule Britannia, Men of Harlech, Greensleeves, Londonderry Air and Early One Morning...."

2. FredBloggs

FredBloggs Guest

isnt the original just the national anthem? it sure sonded like it when they played it on newsnight.

geez - what time do you get up in the morning to hear that?

im usually coming home from a night out on the razz at that time - especially with our 24 hour bar openings now.

3. Well that's a heck of a medley.

Is it really that good? Ill have to check it out now, im intrigued.

"The theme includes Danny Boy, What Shall We Do With The Drunken Sailor?, Scotland the Brave, Rule Britannia, Men of Harlech, Greensleeves, Londonderry Air and Early One Morning...."'

4. Fred Bloggs,

No, it's not the National Anthem.

It's just a collection of well known songs in an arrangement by Fritz Spiegal. It's just comforting to listen to something familiar at that time in the morning. I would not want to see it go. And it appears from the listeners of Radio 4 I am not alone.

I am no longer getting up at that time but I still listen when I have a sleepless night! Glad you're enjoying your nightlife. I'm jealous...

5. Well, i can appreciate the sentiment, but isnt it a bit "groundhog day"?
    "It's just a collection of well known songs in an arrangement by Fritz Spiegal. It's just comforting to listen to something familiar at that time in the morning. "

33 Years???

6. acronym,

It's like coffee and toast in the morning. You just get used to it I guess and prefer the familiar when you're still half asleep. There is uproar over this decision from the Radio 4 listeners.

7. SAVE THE RADIO 4 THEME UPDATE:

There may be little interest here but here is the latest update to this campaign. The petition has now been signed by 17000 people. If you wish to sign it, go to:

www.savetheradio4theme.co.uk

And here's some current info (from the campaign newsletter):

UK Theme Release Information - 27th March 2006
    Released on MONDAY, 27th MARCH as part of the `Save The Radio 4 Theme' campaign.

PROCEEDS GO TO THE LIGHT MUSIC SOCIETY & LIBRARY

The campaign's specially commissioned CD single of the 'Radio 4 UK Theme' plus 'Sailing By' was recorded on Friday 17th February by a Grammy Award-winning production team at Henry Wood Hall, London – performed by the Royal Ballet Sinfonia under Gavin Sutherland.

THE SIX-POINT CAMPAIGN PLAN
    ...YOUR LAST CHANCE TO SAVE THE THEME!

1. The single is released on MONDAY 27th MARCH (both online and in the shops)
    2. All 17,000 petition signatories, amongst others, buy it (£1.99 in the shops/online - 78p per track to download)
    3. The single hits the music charts (these days half that number would do it, and this time of year 17,000 would go top ten, if not higher)
    4. Fresh publicity is thus generated, recruiting more supporters to the campaign.
    5. Maximum pressure is exerted on Radio 4 controller Mark Damazer by raising the campaign's media profile to new heights - they thought we'd go away. Ha!

...If Mark Damazer does axe the UK Theme after all our best efforts, then perhaps he and his successors will at least think twice next time they have a great British cultural icon in their sights... and at least your opinion will have been heard loud and clear!