Please recommend dedicated linux server host for IB trading

Discussion in 'Trading' started by cplex, Apr 2, 2011.

1. cplex

cplex

Hi All,

Just take this oppotunity to say hello to everyone and hope everyone enjoy your new trading day!

I would like to introduce myself first, I am a Fx/rates trader and I am very interested in working on the high frequency algo to trade various assets. recently i opened an Interactive Brokers account and would like to try some trading ideas.

I would like to deploy my code into a dedicated linux server and started collecting data and set up trading infrastructure there.

I would be very appreciated if anyone could kindly recommend one dedicated linux server host in uk which can support setting up IB gateway.

as i know when i connect to IB gateway in linux, there is always a pop up window to ask me input username and password. so the linux host need to have GUI ?(not only a command terminal linux)

or anyone knows IB gateway can be access in linux command line env and how to do that ?

anyone has similiar experience on that ?

Thanks a lot.

2. quantics

quantics

Hello,

Yes you will need to have GUI, X-Window, VNC etc. running. A lot of hosts don't like to install this due to apparent security risks so you may have to do it yourself.

I am not aware of any good UK hosts although I trade with IB with 2 different US hosts. Both very quick to connect to IB. I can certainly make recommendations on that part if the US is a possibility.

Daniel

3. A while back I had a UK-based VPS from openitc.co.uk. Top notch.

You'll probably want to install a VNC server (on Debian/Ubuntu this is as simple as "apt-get install tightvncserver") but only run it on the loopback interface, so that you can tunnel your VNC session over an SSH connection for security.

I do this kind of stuff all the time -- feel free to PM if you need further help.

4. dcvtss

dcvtss

you could also use eXceed or Cygwin and setup your ssh server to tunnel X to your local machine, it's really easy to do

5. This is good if you have a fast connection locally. Otherwise, VNC (particularly "tight" VNC) is a heck of a lot faster/lighter than native X protocol, which was designed for local area networks.

6. bln

bln

Most Linux distributions has a GUI, and there are plenty of ways to access it remotely. VNC, NX, XDMCP, X-over-SSH or even RDP is available.

As for hosting your virtual Linux system. Well Amazon EC2 and Rackspace Hosting are two big players with global presence. There are many mid/smaller players too offering virtual machines.

7. You probably already know, IB API is in JAVA for Linux/Unix. I use Linux and Solaris.

8. cplex

cplex

Thanks everyone for all very good suggestions.

I have one linux server set up (ubuntu) but the serve only have the terminal, i tried to set up gnome myself and found the following problem when i startx

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.24-28-server x86_64 Ubuntu
    Current Operating System: Linux s15449048 2.6.32-31-server #61-Ubuntu SMP Fri Apr 8 19:44:42 UTC 2011 x86_64
    Kernel command line: root=/dev/md1 ro console=tty0 console=ttyS0,57600
    Build Date: 08 March 2011 08:22:34AM
    xorg-server 2:1.7.6-2ubuntu7.6 (For technical support please see http://www.ubuntu.com/support)
    Current version of pixman: 0.16.4
    Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
    to make sure that you have the latest version.
    Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
    (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
    (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
    (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sun May 29 22:26:52 2011
    (==) Using config directory: "/usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf.d"
    (II) [KMS] Kernel modesetting enabled.
    (EE) RADEON(0): No modes.
    (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
    no screens found

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

i checked my xorg.conf file below is the settings regarding Screen

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Device "Card0"
    Monitor "Monitor0"
    SubSection "Display"
    Modes "1680*1050"
    Depth 24
    EndSubSection

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I guess it is just a config problem, would be very apreciated if anyone can help on this point ?

Cheers

9. Cotton

Cotton

10. rupp_scd

rupp_scd

you can easily do X11 forwarding with putty and Xming . Just install XMing to your ( presumably ) Windows local PC , select Xlaunch , then select 'start no client' ( you should have a X icon on the quickstart menu ) . Enable X11 forwarding in the configuration of putty ... and that's all . Ib gateway will open a windows on your local computer where you can login.

The only problem is that X11 forwarding is very very slow , even with ssl compression enabled. I am a bit surprised that IB do not propose a command line ( even an interactive command line with a challenge ) for a unix version since almost all serious unix server hosting do not include the graphical stuff such as gnome, kde , etc ... maybe there is a hack to be done with the java functions to enable login without X11 display ( I mean without the presence of a remote or local X11 display )

#10     Aug 11, 2011