Please Recommend a PC Configuration for Heavy Excel Calculations

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dima777, Jul 10, 2009.

1. dima777

dima777

Thank you!) Very interesting link.....I guess I would benefit if I ran Excel 2007 on Core Duo..

#21     Jul 10, 2009
  2. dima777

dima777

Thanks for the suggesting about recording the macros...I saw the offers with this chip and it is quite expensive...) I think I will stop at Core 2 Duo 2,8 Ghz...What do you think?

#22     Jul 10, 2009
  3. opt789

opt789

I am the wrong person to ask, I always opt for the higher end, but it is a question of what you are doing and how long you will keep the machine. Any new chip will do most jobs so there is not usually a need for overkill, but if you can afford it then you will be happier later that your chip is up to speed.

#23     Jul 10, 2009
  4. x64 is for running complex calculations in a timely fashion.

#24     Jul 10, 2009
  5. DannoXYZ

DannoXYZ

That will work fine for you. The main benefits of the i7 over what you have now are optimized SSE4 instructions for video-encoding. You won't see any benefits in Excel calculations from that.

#25     Jul 10, 2009
  6. DannoXYZ

DannoXYZ

I mean i7 over the Core2Duo 2.8.

#26     Jul 11, 2009
  7. dima777

dima777

Thanks!!! I wonder if there are some setups which are recommended by the scientific community because I am going to use some other scientific programs, like SPSS , SigmaPlot

#27     Jul 11, 2009
  8. maxpi

maxpi

I was building a workstation a couple of year back. I wanted high end industry standard stuff all the way. I went to the Intel website and looked up the model numbers of their highest end motherboards. I found the one that was second from the top of the list on ebay and stuck it together with maximum RAM and processor... it's fantastic...

#28     Jul 12, 2009
  9. laka

laka

hello !!

you should use excel 2007 that can use multi core processors,
    like a quad 6600 or more..

but if you have to clean your vbe code ..

i noticed a larger cpu usage by excel 2007 then excel xp (similar to 2003) ..

i cant imagine why your page is 500 mb..
    while the stolen market maker goldman program was 32 mb !!

i had all the information i needed on the microsoft excel programming...

i know few things of vbe.. but now all the things i needed for my page.. i imagine u made a lot of recorded macros...
    first of all you should substitute all the "select " in vbe..
    disable automatic calculation,
    and use range calculate for optimizing the flux and the cpu usage..

>>>
    dont try to go to other programming languages..
    before you know properly visual basic editor of excel.
    <<<<
    excel is powerful enough for trading if well configured,
    and visual basic is the first programming language you should know. it is easy, it has all the functions you can iagine, you can launch execution and it is very stable .

really few people need more than excel

maybe i can help for your work.
    ask if you need

#29     Jul 12, 2009
  10. weitau

weitau

Get the computer with the most RAM. if you are running multiple spreadsheets that exceed the ram in the computer, they will get paged into virtual memory (on the hard drive, which is 100x slower). If you get a i7 cpu, that cpu will be waiting for the data to come off the hard drive....

You should prioritize in this order:

1. RAM ( you need a 64 bit version of Windows to use more than 4gb) Try to get 8gb or more.
    2. OS - 64 bit XP or *gasp* Vista
    3. Excel 2007 like the others said.

A Quad core CPU is not useful if you're not running Excel 2007.

#30     Jul 13, 2009