Please Recommend a PC Configuration for Heavy Excel Calculations

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dima777, Jul 10, 2009.

1. dima777

dima777

Thank you for your answer...I am quite use to my 15" Sony so I can concentrate more on the processing power - even if I wish to have a larger display for sure - given the size of the model I am working on right now.

#11     Jul 10, 2009
  2. dima777

dima777

Thanks for your suggestion) Yes - I need the whole workbook to be calculate at the same time. I am thinking of learning the VB as I do not wish to leave my beloved Excel)) Can you recommend any book for the beginner?

#12     Jul 10, 2009
  3. dima777

dima777

Thank you for this inspirational message))) I have been thinking of converting the excel logic into a faster code but only by myself...Can you recommend me a good book on the VB?

#13     Jul 10, 2009
  4. Budget mobos have "onboard" video. That's OK if you want to run 1-2 monitors. If you want to run more, you'd benefit from a better one.

#14     Jul 10, 2009
  5. dima777

dima777

Thanks but I think that my Access skilss are quite limited for such an operation)

#15     Jul 10, 2009
  6. dima777

dima777

Nope...I am not using DDE...

#16     Jul 10, 2009
  7. dima777

dima777

So all in all you recommend that I go with the desktop solution? I have heard that having 1 GB of RAM is all what is needed for Excel 2003 - in other words it cannot access the rest if you have more...You heard this?

#17     Jul 10, 2009
  8. No. It's not a matter of "how much Excel might use", but rather the Operating System.

1-2GB of RAM is plenty for XP. For Vista, 4GB is right for 32-bit. For 64-bit, the more the better.

#18     Jul 10, 2009
  9. If you work with excel 2007 instead of 2003 it is more optimized for heavier financial calculations and programming...

It works in a multi-threaded process... and It allows more ram to be utilized... than 03

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb687899.aspx

#19     Jul 10, 2009
  10. opt789

opt789

I have a new i7 chip desktop and I really like it, so if you can afford it and get a desktop I would recommend that and a 64 bit operating system so you will be ready for the future. As far as Excel VBA goes it is really easy to learn a lot just from the program because you can “record” macros and then look at the programming code, and it has a good help system. I am not sure as to a book because I don’t know your overall programming knowledge and aspirations, but amazon has good reviews on all their books so searching there should get you what you need. You can also search the web for Excel specific sites where you can post questions about how to make your worksheets better and faster.

Excel is not, and never has been an efficient program so if you have to do something very intensive then you will have to grow beyond Excel, but for a beginner you can do a lot once you learn some VBA.

#20     Jul 10, 2009