Please, I can’t breathe

Discussion in 'Politics' started by BeautifulStranger, Jun 21, 2020.

How Much Police Violence is Acceptable During an Arrest?

1. Whatever it takes - Painful consequences mean change in criminal behavior

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Enough to let the perp know his behavior is not appreciated.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Until the prep is handcuffed, “A little mustard” while retraining him can be ok.

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  4. Care should be taken during all phases of an arrest to avoid the use of excessive force.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Earnest efforts should be made to talk to the perp in an attempt avoid a physical confrontation.

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Lost me after the first few “I can’t breathe” nonsense.

How about this-
    DON’T ASSAULT A POLICE OFFICER(S) and 99.9% of the tragic accidental deaths wouldn’t happen.

Even better, don’t commit a crime and the number would go to 100%

Dr. Love and smallfil like this.
  2. Tony Stark

Tony Stark

Bronna Taylor,Timir Rice,Philando Castillo,John Crawford,Oscar Grant etc would disagree

Frederick Foresight likes this.
  3. userque

userque

So, you want readers to believe you? To believe that only people (Black, in this debate) committing crimes are shot by police?

You also wonder why people (Black, White, and Brown) continually protest police shootings. None of these protests make any sense to you?

You also want want readers to considered you to be fair-minded, credible, and intelligent; correct?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  4. In the case of Floyd’s death, the lead officer had 20 complaints on his record. Should there not be standards of police conduct? Is it possible the way an officer treats someone is how they will be treated in response? Could there be people attracted to law enforcement for the purpose in engaging in racist behavior or other anti-social behaviors and getting away with it because of presumed credibility?

Being a police officer has to be one of the toughest jobs out there. Criminals committing crimes, resisting arrest, and sometimes endangering the public and or the police officer creates a stressful job that many are not qualified or want to do. However, it seem inappropriate to me for an police officer to exceed his authority by attempting to punish an alleged criminal. Our judical system is designed to determine guilt and administer appropriate punishment, not the officer. If a citizen uses force to resist an arrest, the officer has every right to protect himself and overcome that force such that he can restrain and transport the perp. Harmful force after a subject is restrained is probably always inappropriate.

As we have seen by the public’s response to Floyd’s death, it is more of an reality that tensions between the public and police will continue to build as similar deaths such as Floyd’s happen in the future than people will stop resisting arrest. As I recall, at least one officer was murdered in connection to the aftermath of Floyd’s death. Thus, perceived inequity in the use of police force by the public can have negative consequences for officer safety.

It seems to me police reforms are necessary to restore public confidence in our system. Indeed, didn’t Trump sign a house bill for police reforms recently?

5. userque

userque

This information has been posted in these forums for the longest. Have you ever asked yourself, 'why do I have to keep refuting the same failed arguments, with the same facts, to the same individuals?'

6. Floyd was flat out murder. That cop and him had a history working at the same bar. The backstory will come out in trial. I have zero defense for the cop and hope he gets what is deserved.

Rayshard Brooks on the other hand was completely to blame for being shot (and unfortunately killed).
    When two police officers are attempting to handcuff you and you violently assault them, what do you think is going to be the end result??

Actions have consequences.
    Blacks and anyone else attacking or not complying with a police officer have to learn that.

7. Something more people should do is envision themselves in another’s shoes. Perhaps if we all tried to take the perspective of the major parties in the Floyd shooting, there would be less dissention.

To dismiss someone’s opinion or actions out of hand is counterproductive.

There is usually a logical or efficiency to somone’s decision making based on reality as they see it. Their decision could very well seem crazy to most people at first glance, but if one takes the time to try to understand that person’s situation, it could make sense, potentially allowing an effective dialogue to develop. Unfortunately, the police don’t usually have the luxuary of time when making a decision to use force. However, the police do have training and the collective experience of many thousands of similar events.

Hopefully, there will be positive outcomes out of the Floyd tragedy that includes a more consistent high level of professionalism with our police, a greater sense of representation by the public, and a improved understanding that it is in one’s best interest to comply with an officer’s lawful order.

8. userque

userque

I agree with most of your post here, but I'm not sure of what you're saying here. Are you suggesting, that I was suggesting that @Clubber Lang 's post be dismissed?

9. I was taking in general terms. If someone says or does something, odds are high it was important to them, even if no one else understands it.

The players directly involved in Floyd’s death were Floyd, the officers, vocal bystanders, the Blacks and other groups, and Floyd’s family. The motivation and reactions of these groups may seem foreign to other groups, but are likely all reasonable from their own perspective. Drug induced issues excepted, perhaps.

Top of mind question: Why did the officer with his knee to Floyd’s neck felt is was ok to continue after Floyd was hancuffed, Floyd’s pleas, and the crowd’s urgent calls?

#10     Jun 21, 2020