Please Help Spec New Rig V2.0

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by justrading, Feb 25, 2013.

1. newb question here...why would you prefer the E5 over the i7?

#21     Feb 26, 2013
  2. ofthomas

ofthomas

overlooking bus, lithography, cache, power consumption, and other things that might or might not make a difference to you depending on how you use it... and that will be determined by your choice.... the most significant differences to you would be:

- bandwidth (Memory, PCI, etc.)
    - reliability (ECC, etc.)

http://ark.intel.com/compare/65719,64621

and you can have multi-processor with the E5 class... more important if you are doing modeling and need maximum number of threads... otherwise, it is just bragging rights and nothing more...

#22     Feb 26, 2013
  3. ofthomas

ofthomas

also, when deciding which CPU, if you know what your application workload characteristics are like (single thread vs. multi-thread) you can use this benchmark as a baseline to help you choose..

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

#23     Feb 26, 2013

4. IMHO this is about 400 bucks worth of hardware your trading application will probably never use
    Unless you wrote the application yourself

#24     Feb 26, 2013
  5. Would it come into play with Excel modeling volatility surfaces or running Monte Carlo simulations?

#25     Feb 26, 2013
  6. This probably explains why my Acer is proving to be more trouble than it is worth. Ah well, we live and learn.

Scataphagos, ofthomas, NoBias - thanks for the patience and for going to all that effort to help me, I'm sure others reading will find the advice useful too.

I have a tonne of info to digest and research to do before I can make any decisions, but off the cuff I'm thinking maybe get a ready built box for the main machine, use the Acer temporarily as the 2nd machine, and learn how to build one meantime. That way if I get stuck with the build, everything still moves along fine.

I like the idea of learning how to build, because then I can fix them myself and not be dependent on service centres that take forever.

#26     Feb 26, 2013

7. I think its better to keep simulations off the trading machine. (Again, IMHO)

The box I spec'd is a very effective trading machine for 400 bucks
    I have built several on this spec for other traders - so far positive feedback.

I dont know much about Excel modeling volativity surfaces so I can's speak to that.

With other Excel work it matters alot how you code it. Using tables or CSE functions in Excel will grind any machine to a halt.

Pivots are more efficient but you cant do everything with Pivots

Monte Carlo simulation is sort of the same thing. I can wear out any box if I select a large enough # of simulations and a large enough # of trades per simulation.

just my 2 cents
    :)

#27     Feb 26, 2013