PLEASE HELP: Need advice on these monitors for trading

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LivermoreRisen, Dec 2, 2011.

1. I bought four 23" LED HP 2511x monitors because of a black friday special (got them for $119.99 plus tax). Here is a link to the product description:

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/s...tegory=display&catLevel=2&product_code=901932

Now I KNOW I got a great deal on these monitors but I want to use them for daytrading the financial markets. I am a futures trader (ZF, ZN, ZB, YM).

Does anyone have any experience with these monitors? Will it make a huge difference if a monitor has 1920x1080 or 1920x1200, for trading? Because I see monitors for $500 and the best resolution they offer is 1920x1200, I wonder if it is worth it to spend $400 more for just another 120 lines along the horizontal.

Will the new monitors I have bought be good on my eyes?

Anyone with any sort of experience with these monitors, please give me your suggestions.

If you actually trade with these monitors, please let me know; I would love to hear about your experience.

Do any of you fellow traders trade with 1920x1080 resolution at present on 23" monitors (or just in general)? Is it comfortable or do you sometimes wish you had higher resolution? If you wish you had higher resolution, why?

Thanks a lot. I appreciate it!!

2. I just found out that the monitors I bought do not support VESA mounting. Does anyone know of a way to mount non-vesa compliant LCDS? Thanks

3. IMO, 1920x1200 is nice. But not worth spending $400 more for it (or for them). With the added 120 lines, you can display a few more rows of price data, or a bigger space for indicators (or have more indicators).

I have tried a 26" monitor but in the end returned it. Too huge (taking up my physical space) without providing more details (same resolution 1920 x 1080). I sit only 2 to 3 feet away from the monitors. I don't really need the huge ones.

I currently have a few 22", 23", 24". I think even 24" are a bit too big. 23" are okay. But lately I fell in love with the 22" (actual dimension is 21.5" diagonal) LED monitor (Acer). They are great. Sharp. Deliver the information that I need. LCD are good but by comparison they are heavy. I love the LED screens. They are much lighter and brighter.

4. Try searching for some adapter mouting brackets. They make some for non-VESA Dell monitors. There is a good chance they make some for non-VESA HP monitors as well. Put in your HP monitor model number plus "VESA mounting brackets" in Google.

5. Thanks Bolimomo. I am severely annoyed that this monitor doesn't have VESA compliance.

you mentioned you have monitors. Does LED or LCD really Matter in terms of eye soreness? Thanks

6. I don't feel eye soreness either way. I have over 20 monitors in my trading room. I think the key is how you set up your chart environment. I use dim background (black actually) and bright, primary color charting display. I see many people use white background (very well be the default of the software). Worse... on top of that they use bright colors (red, green, yellow, etc..)... Bright colors for objects on a bright background is very bad for your eyes. Also... because the background color takes up so much of the screen's area (probably 80% to 90%)... white, bright background from multiple monitors, being starred at for 6 to 7 hours at a time can be very taxing to your eyes.

Below is a typical chart color combination I use. Black background, simple primary colors for price plots and indicators.

[​IMG]

7. thanks

8. Hillbilly array:
    Cut out the front of one box leaving about 1" all around and maintain top and bottom. Put it on your desk upside down. Put one monitor inside it and another on top of it. Do same with other pair of monitors. It does work. I have used it for temp setup but not for trading. At least you can get an idea of distance, elevations and perspective from it.

When you figure out what you like, build some simple shelves.