Please Help - Etrade cost me $2,500 today

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by tradermike88, Jan 18, 2007.

1. dave_liu

dave_liu

What you said is reasonable. However a question remains: if IB can do it right, why not Etrade?

#31     Jan 19, 2007
  2. "Auto" means that they route the order to a market maker of their chioice. I made a big mistake doing this and will NEVER do it again. They looked at my trade dispute and offered me 10 free trades. They said that the reason I could not cancel the order for 20 minutes is that they give their market makers 20-25 minutes at the end of the day to report back if the order was filled or not. It must be nice to be in this situation as a market maker. My sell Order was at 99.65. So they could wait until earnings are released and if the price spikes up big fill the order or else wait 20 minutes and send back a cancellation to etrade so I can submit a new order. I told them I will cancel the account if they cannot offer me something better than 10 free trades and that I do over 1000 trades a year which would be worth over $7K to them, but they don't give a crap so I am out of luck and probably for the better will move these funds into my tradestation account. I will also never submit a "day" order again.

Mike

#32     Jan 19, 2007
  3. dave_liu

dave_liu

Never use a market order. Several times I used market order at Etrade, they filled my order with very bad price.

#33     Jan 19, 2007
  4. You say they claim 20 minutes of 'grace' on a limit order after the close? Sounds like pure horsecrap to me.

Can anyone confirm that this is the case or allowed by law?

If they tried to pull that on me , I'd pull my account and sue.

#34     Jan 19, 2007
  5. wtf are you talking about?

did you read the ops posting or just looking for an excuse to pontificate?

#35     Jan 19, 2007
  6. Tums

Tums

you did that again?

#36     Jan 19, 2007
  7. This was the exact response I got from them

"Trade Inquiry 221559066190 on order 108 to sell 500 shares of IBM has been reviewed. E*Trade Financial follows common industry practice to expire orders 20-25 minutes after the close of the market. This is done in the event that an order was executed but had a delay in the reporting. You may call us before the order is expired to request that we manually remove the order, but that is the responsibility of the customer. No adjustment is due on order 108, and we cannot offer any compensation for orders that were rejected correctly."

I just wish I knew this rule yesterday. It would have saved me a lot of money. What really pissed me off is that it took over 10 minutes for the customer service rep to look up my account when I called yesterday. If they had been quicker it would have saved me at least $1.5K. Well, I guess this is a very expensive lesson not to ever use etrade again and never place a "day" order. Just curious is this truly common industry practice to lock orders for 20-25 minutes after the market closes?

Mike

#37     Jan 19, 2007
  8. franco82

franco82

ETRADE Financial ....

BE EXTRA PROTECTED

COMPLETE FRAUD PROTECTION ?
    COMPLETE PAYMENT PROTECTION ??
    COMPLETE PRIVACY PROTECTION ???

... NO COMPLETE TRADE PROTECTION !!!!!

#38     Jan 19, 2007
  9. Why you place this trade in first place? Seems like very bad risk vrs reward. I hope you learned lesson that is valuable. Very sorry.

-Harry

#39     Jan 19, 2007
  10. Your doing a 1000 trades a year? How many shares at a time? That many trades sound like you are day trading more than swing trading. What are you paying in commissions on each trade?

Like I said earlier, you need to not only Google the terms I mentioned before, you need to ask each new prospective broker what happens to your order once you click the buy/sell button.

Sorry to say, but you really don't have any leg to stand on. I can tell you did not follow my advice from earlier and read up on how ETrade handles orders but are slowly picking up that knowledge.

ETrade and other brokers (that are not direct access) route all orders to market makers. It is in their best interest to obtain the stock at a better price and make a little extra. After all they have to kick back a little bit to the broker so to be able to pay for that order. Hence the term "payment for order flow".

Listen, we can list all of the pitfalls in this business but it wouldn't do any good. We each have to experience them in order to really learn from these errors.

Okay, you may have read it's best to go with a direct access broker, but you are looking at the cheap commissions and the features etc and felt that was the best deal for you. And it probably was, until you found out the one trade that can bite you in the butt. There are many others believe me (speaking as an ex ETrade customer).

Good luck finding a new broker should you determine that's in your best interest.

MM

#40     Jan 19, 2007